Topic: letter to the editor

Letter: Two state solution referendum is preferable to divestment

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In Kyle Price’s ’20 recent op-ed, the author opposes the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement against Israel. As a Jew, I’m reluctantly against BDS and fearful that it could become a camouflage for blatantly anti-Semitic activities.

Letter: Investment Office’s response to divestment is misleading

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In their recent op-ed, Dowling, Dietze and Kennedy ’97 argue that it is infeasible for Brown to divest because of the complicated nature of managing the endowment. This claim is concerning, considering the fact that Brown University has claimed to divest from tobacco, genocide in Darfur, and HEI Hotels and Resorts.

Letter: The Herald must appoint a public editor

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

March 13, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: In the wake of the Providence Journal’s exposé of Martin Granoff’s P ’93 exclusive dinners, numerous students took to the Dear Blueno Facebook page to criticize The Brown Daily Herald — the supposed premier source for news about Brown — for missing the scoop.

Letter: U. support for ProJo goes beyond subscriptions

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

October 24, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Despite the clarification to the Oct. 9 editorial, “University should buy ProJo subscriptions,” subsequent letters from readers make clear the need to share additional details on the extensive access to the Providence Journal that the University already provides to students, faculty and staff. First, through a subscription […]

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Don’t rescind honorary degrees

September 6, 2018 0 comments

Self-described “non-donating” alum Nicholas Morley ’13 raised engaging questions about the nature of honorary degrees in a May 18 Herald op-ed entitled “Rescind Junot Díaz’s Honorary Doctorate,” but as a donating alum, I would humbly suggest that the University steer clear of revoking such distinctions.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Help make the First Readings program better

April 15, 2018 0 comments

I appreciated the proposals included in the April 12 editorial entitled “Reforming the First Readings program.”

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: SPEAK report ignores lived experiences of politics

March 20, 2018 0 comments

I appreciate the concise and valuable data that SPEAK has compiled about discourse on campus, explained in The Herald’s March 5 article “Study finds most hosted speakers lean left politically.” However, I don’t think this committee has sufficiently explained what exactly they want conservative voices to provide.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Reconsider the suspension of the elementary MAT program

March 15, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: After reading Polly Ulichny’s March 11 op-ed “Brown’s elementary MAT program gets it right”, it is difficult to understand the administration’s thinking in choosing to suspend a program that has met with such amazing success.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Why does review require suspension?

February 28, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: In a letter to the editor published by The Herald yesterday, Provost Richard Locke P ’18 states that “the University decided to suspend acceptances of new applicants to the elementary education track for the current cycle.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Destroying the UEL would betray the community

February 8, 2018 0 comments

I fully understand the need for a larger, upgraded performance space.