Topic: Middle East studies

Former acting assistant secretary of state for African affairs and former ambassador to Saudi Arabia discussed the ramifications of U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, highlighting challenges to U.S. involvement in the region.

News, University News

Former U.S. ambassador argues for foreign policy change in Middle East

March 12, 2019 0 comments

When the United States implements ineffective foreign policy, the government instinctually pushes more resources and energy toward that failing policy, a tendency that has proven detrimental in the Middle East, said Chas Freeman, Jr.

Assistant Professor of History at Harvard Rosie Bsheer gave a talk on the ongoing conflict in Yemen. She argued that the conflict was precipitated by Saudi Arabian opposition toward democratic movements in Yemen.

News, University News

University event highlights complexity of Yemeni conflict

February 27, 2019 0 comments

Addressing faculty and students in the Stephen Robert ’62 P’91 Hall, Rosie Bsheer, assistant professor of history at Harvard, focused on the political narrative of the Yemeni war, the history surrounding the conflict and the factors that led to the crisis.

Omar Alshogre (right) and Jose Diaz (middle) shared their stories of incarceration at an event moderated by Professor Alex Winder (left).

News, University News

Former prisoners discuss incarceration

January 30, 2019 0 comments

For former Syrian political prisoner Omar Alshogre, the experience of looking into a mirror after his release from prison was shocking — he was unrecognizable to himself, with bloodshot eyes and weighing just 75 pounds.

Columns, Opinions

Samilow ’19: Academic boycotts are bad for the academy

March 16, 2018 3 comments

A Supreme Court justice once said, in the context of the death penalty, that when a judge feels unable to apply a law because of his or her personal views, it’s time to resign and either launch a political campaign or lead a revolution.

Pulizer Prize-winning journalist Alissa Rubin ‘80 discussed the importance of context and history in foreign reporting, particulary in war zones.

News, University News

Rubin ’80 discusses morality, challenges of journalism

February 14, 2018 1 comment

When Alissa Rubin ’80 left Brown with a degree in renaissance studies and a hunger to travel, she did not foresee a future in journalism.

Shazhad Bashir will direct the Middle East Studies program as of July 1st,  hoping to expand the reach of the program and its academic offerings.

News, University News

Shahzad Bashir to lead Middle East Studies

February 2, 2018 0 comments

Shahzad Bashir, professor of Islamic humanities, will become the new program director for Middle East Studies after Beshara Doumani, current director and professor of modern Middle East history, steps down this summer.

Middle East Studies hosts film series on displacement

News, University News

April 4, 2017 0 comments

Ursurla Biemann has been welcomed to Brown by the Middle East Studies Department surrounding the theme of “Displacement and the Making of the Modern World.”

Faculty teach-in highlights historical implications of immigration ban

News, University News

February 9, 2017 0 comments

When Sreemati Mitter, assistant professor of Middle Eastern history and international and public affairs, met with Syrian refugees in France