Topic: Performing Arts Center

The main performance hall (depicted above) will house the University Orchestra’s concerts, as well as provide space for other artistic endeavors on campus.

News, University News

Arts community reacts to PAC design

March 6, 2019 0 comments

Following the unveiling of the design for the new campus Performing Arts Center last month, members of the Brown arts community are reacting to the building’s aesthetic and potential use. The Herald spoke with eight members of the arts community, all of whom reacted positively to the building’s design.

The Performing Arts Center, which will be located between Angell and Olive streets, should be completed in 2022 and will feature a main performance hall that can be transformed into several configurations.

News, University News

University unveils design of new Performing Arts Center

February 13, 2019 0 comments

The design of the new Performing Arts Center was announced today by the University and New York-based architecture firm REX, according to a University press release. The PAC, set for completion in 2022, will be located between Angell and Olive streets, The Herald previously reported.

Corporation approves new site for performing arts center

News, University News

June 2, 2018 0 comments

The Corporation approved the new performing arts center site between Angell and Olive Streets, following controversy surrounding the previously proposed site.

The preservationists & the provokers

The preservationists & the provokers

May 25, 2018 0 comments
This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018

The Providence Preservation Society has been organizing community members for over half a century to advocate for the preservation of Providence’s historic buildings that capture the city’s character and heritage.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: New performing arts center has a chance to be distinct

March 2, 2018 0 comments

To the editor: The University’s latest proposal for the location of a performing arts center includes a welcome clarification of what the center is and what it is not.

Editorial: In support of the new performing arts center plan

Editorials, Opinions

February 26, 2018 0 comments

On Feb. 20, the University announced plans to change the proposed location of its new performing arts center “to a smaller plot on The Walk between Angell and Olive streets, facing the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts.”

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Landscape the hardscape

February 21, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Now that the University has wisely changed course about the site of the future performing arts center, it should also turn its attention to the area around the five historic structures which were spared from the wrecking ball or relocation.

The University no longer plans to demolish the Urban Environmental Laboratory. Concerns voiced in a Providence City Plan Commission meeting Dec. 19 spurred the changes to the proposed design and location.

News, University News

University changes site for performing arts center

February 20, 2018 0 comments

The University has changed the planned building location for the new performing arts center “to a smaller plot on The Walk between Angell and Olive streets, facing the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts,” according to a University press release.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Destroying the UEL would betray the community

February 8, 2018 0 comments

I fully understand the need for a larger, upgraded performance space.

Illick-Frank ’18, Sharpe ’18: Don’t write off the UEL just yet

Op-eds, Opinions

February 7, 2018 0 comments

Updated on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:08 a.m. If distinction is the rubble of five historic buildings, then by all means Brown is building on distinction. The University plans to break ground on a new performing arts center in a location currently occupied by the Urban Environmental Lab — the […]