Topic: Performing Arts Center

Corporation approves new site for performing arts center

News, University News

June 2, 2018 0 comments

The Corporation approved the new performing arts center site between Angell and Olive Streets, following controversy surrounding the previously proposed site.

The preservationists & the provokers

The preservationists & the provokers

May 25, 2018 0 comments
This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018

The Providence Preservation Society has been organizing community members for over half a century to advocate for the preservation of Providence’s historic buildings that capture the city’s character and heritage.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: New performing arts center has a chance to be distinct

March 2, 2018 0 comments

To the editor: The University’s latest proposal for the location of a performing arts center includes a welcome clarification of what the center is and what it is not.

Editorial: In support of the new performing arts center plan

Editorials, Opinions

February 26, 2018 0 comments

On Feb. 20, the University announced plans to change the proposed location of its new performing arts center “to a smaller plot on The Walk between Angell and Olive streets, facing the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts.”

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Landscape the hardscape

February 21, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Now that the University has wisely changed course about the site of the future performing arts center, it should also turn its attention to the area around the five historic structures which were spared from the wrecking ball or relocation.

The University no longer plans to demolish the Urban Environmental Laboratory. Concerns voiced in a Providence City Plan Commission meeting Dec. 19 spurred the changes to the proposed design and location.

News, University News

University changes site for performing arts center

February 20, 2018 0 comments

The University has changed the planned building location for the new performing arts center “to a smaller plot on The Walk between Angell and Olive streets, facing the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts,” according to a University press release.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Destroying the UEL would betray the community

February 8, 2018 0 comments

I fully understand the need for a larger, upgraded performance space.

Illick-Frank ’18, Sharpe ’18: Don’t write off the UEL just yet

Op-eds, Opinions

February 7, 2018 0 comments

Updated on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:08 a.m. If distinction is the rubble of five historic buildings, then by all means Brown is building on distinction. The University plans to break ground on a new performing arts center in a location currently occupied by the Urban Environmental Lab — the […]

After a December hearing featured concerns from various community members, the vote on the possible demolition of historic sites to build the performing arts center was postponed a second time.

News, University News

Arts center met with controversy from Providence locals

February 6, 2018 0 comments

The Providence City Plan Commission has moved the vote on the University’s plan to build a performing arts center — which has sparked controversy over the possibility of demolishing or moving five historic buildings  — to March 20.

U. hopes to open performing arts center by fall 2021

News, University News

October 3, 2017 0 comments

Over the summer, the University has continued its work developing plans for the new performing arts center after announcing its conception spring 2017.