Topic: Providence City Council

Though City Council originally approved height changes for the tower in a nine-to-five vote Friday, Mayor Jorge Elorza vetoed the measure.

Metro, News

Mayor vetoes proposed zoning change for tower

December 2, 2018 0 comments

After several public hearings and a litany of high-profile City Council committee votes, Mayor Jorge Elorza vetoed a height ordinance change for the proposed 46-story Hope Point Tower Friday afternoon.

Student luxury housing developers to save $19 million over 20 years

Metro, News

October 12, 2018 0 comments

On Oct. 4, the Providence City Council approved the use of a tax stabilization agreement for the construction of a new “mixed-use” apartment complex, Edge College Hill II.

Holt:  Securing the future of Providence — for all of us

Op-eds, Opinions

Holt: Securing the future of Providence — for all of us

September 11, 2018 0 comments

My name is Ryan Holt. I live on Halsey Street (right near campus) with my wife, Lilia, our rescue dog Stella and our two rescue cats Silvio and Cleo.

City Council hopefuls talk housing, city finances

Metro, News

September 9, 2018 0 comments

In the first week back at Brown, students on and off campus may have noticed a range of City Council electoral signs adorning peoples’ gardens. YURDIN and GAINES signs, for instance, can be seen from the corner of India Street all the way up to Fones Alley.

Tuesday evening, the Providence Committee on Finance discussed the city’s budget predictions and the school budget deficit.

Metro, News

Committee of Finance reviews budget projections

January 31, 2018 0 comments

The Providence Committee on Finance convened Tuesday evening in City Hall to discuss the city’s projected budget for the next five years. At the meeting, committee members expressed concerns about the management of the school system’s finances.

City Council hopes to increase recycling efforts

Metro, News

November 2, 2017 0 comments

The city passed resolutions to increase efforts to educate the city on recycling and to assign a crossing guard at Bradley School Providence on Broadway.

Metro, News

City takes action to enforce removing of notices on poles

October 19, 2017 0 comments

The city passed resolutions on gun measures, removing notices posted on poles and training recreation employees on sexual assault and child abuse.

City Council approves bike lane study, removal of Confederate flags

Metro, News

September 8, 2017 0 comments

The city passed resolutions calling for a study of bike lanes as well as the removal of Confederate flags and monuments from public property.

The Community Safety Act, which unanimously passed Thursday evening, banned racial profiling by police, among other regulation aimed at strengthening relations between the police and the Providence community.

Metro, News

Initial Community Safety Act vote passes unanimously in City Hall

April 21, 2017 0 comments

The Providence City Council unanimously passed the Community Safety Act Thursday night at Providence City Hall, with 12 city council members voting yes

Mayor discusses redevelopment of Kennedy Plaza

Metro, News

February 17, 2017 0 comments

“This is a historic moment for Kennedy Plaza,” Elorza said, noting that a final undeveloped parcel of land in the city center will soon be completed.