Topic: Providence Public Library

Langston Hughes, social activist and poet of the Harlem Renaissance, wrote timeless works of poetry, touching on themes that are still relevant to communities today. His work was celebrated at a local poetry reading.

Arts & Culture

Community gathers in honor of Langston Hughes

February 5, 2019 0 comments

“Hold fast to dreams / For if dreams die / Life is a broken-winged bird / That cannot fly.” The voice of reader Angela Romans reciting the well-known opening lines of “Dreams” by the celebrated American poet Langston Hughes blended with the soulful snaps of audience members…

The archives were prepared over a two-year period by Janaya Kizzie. Federal grants helped to pay for the project.

Arts & Culture

AS220 archives made public

September 6, 2018 0 comments

This summer, the Providence Public Library opened the archives of AS220, a Providence-based community arts non-profit, to the public. This release concludes a two-year effort by the library and AS220 to house and preserve the organization’s archives.

The exterior of the Providence Public Library, photographed here in 2015, will be renovated to feature larger windows and glass walls. The temporary library will be accessible through the Washington Street entrance.

Arts & Culture

Providence Public Library undertakes renovations

September 5, 2018 0 comments

Beginning next week, the Providence Public Library will launch a $25 million renovation intended to transform its 84,000 square foot Empire Street building into a modern, capacious facility capable of housing the library’s vast number of unique collections and education programs.