Topic: Rhode Island Department of Education

R.I. Commissioner of Education Angélica Infante-Green will oversee the state’s takeover of Providence schools starting on Nov. 1.

Metro, News

Infante-Green spearheads Providence school takeover

October 18, 2019 0 comments

When Angélica Infante-Green’s son was diagnosed with autism, she was told not to speak to him in Spanish. A Manhattan-raised daughter of parents who emigrated from the Dominican Republic, Infante-Green was used to speaking Spanish at home, and resolved to keep doing so.

$20 million grant awarded to Rhode Island Department of Education

Metro, News

October 11, 2019 1 comment

The Rhode Island Department of Education has received a $20 million federal grant to improve children’s literacy rates. The grant, awarded by the U.S. Department of Education earlier this month, will target readers from birth to grade 12 by focusing on improving curriculum quality.

Paxson addresses proposed Title IX regulations

News, University News

February 1, 2019 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P ’19 submitted a public comment to the U.S. Department of Education on behalf of the University to recommend changes to the Department’s proposed Title IX regulations, according to a community-wide email sent by Paxson Jan. 29.

Metro

Minority populations face high juvenile detention rates

March 3, 2015 1 comment
This article is part of the series Playground to Prison

Black males in Rhode Island were 9.3 times as likely to end up in juvenile detention centers than their white peers in 2013.

Metro

Committee releases preliminary proposal for R.I. public schools

February 4, 2015 0 comments

A first draft of a strategic plan for the Rhode Island Department of Education was released Monday by the newly-formed Ambassador Design Team.

Metro

School choice advocates rally at Statehouse

February 2, 2015 1 comment

Advocates of school choice promote government subsidies for parents to send their kids to private schools, currently much-debated issue in Rhode Island.

Metro

Common Core attracts controversy

September 4, 2014 1 comment

A year after RI implemented Common Core, some parents and stakeholders raise concerns about the initiative’s efficacy and interference with local control.