Topic: Rhode Island politics

In an event co-sponsored by the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy and the Watson Institute for International And Public Affairs, Congressmen reflected on the University’s impact on their career paths.

Metro

Alums in Congress discuss climate, wealth distribution

April 9, 2019 0 comments

Congressmen David Cicilline ’83 (D-RI) and Dean Phillips ’91 (D-MN) returned to campus Monday to discuss climate change, the societal impacts of wealth distribution and Brown’s impact on their trajectory to Congress.

Members of Sunrise Rhode Island, politicians and other activists gathered at the State House in support of a Green New Deal for Rhode Island. House Resolution 5665 would support research on economic, social and environmental progress in the state. A matching Senate resolution will be introduced shortly.

Metro, News

State moves to support research on R.I. Green New Deal

March 12, 2019 0 comments

Promises of a Green New Deal at the national level trickled down to the Ocean State Thursday, when politicians and community activists alike gathered in the Rhode Island State House to announce plans to research the possibilities for a state Green New Deal.

Urban Studies students involved in Housing Opportunities for People Everywhere assisted SouthCoast Fair Housing by analyzing online housing listings for instances of income-based discrimination.

News, University News

Report shows discrimination against housing voucher recipients

February 13, 2019 0 comments

SouthCoast Fair Housing released a report entitled “It’s About the Voucher: Source of Income Discrimination in Rhode Island” just before the State House received a dusting of snow Tuesday morning.

R.I. Speaker of House receives student criticism

Metro, News

November 29, 2018 0 comments

Rhode Island House Speaker Nicholas Mattiello’s close win in the November election this month could reflect a larger divide within the Democratic party between progressive and moderate party members.

Moderator Gene Valicenti facilitated debate among the four candidates on topics including public education and government corruption.

Metro, News

Gubernatorial candidates clash on economy, gun safety

November 2, 2018 0 comments

In the final televised gubernatorial debate , the four candidates clashed over whether incumbent Democrat Gov. Gina Raimondo deserved credit for improving Rhode Island’s economy and prompted heated discussions about education, school safety and the controversial public benefits registration system.

Gubernatorial candidate’s spokesperson resigns over offensive tweets

Metro, News

November 2, 2018 0 comments

Andrew Augustus resigned as a spokesperson for Mayor of Cranston Allan Fung’s gubernatorial campaign after misogynistic and racist tweets from his time at Rhode Island College were discovered this week.

Whitehouse, Flanders face off for Senate seat

Metro, News

November 2, 2018 0 comments

On Nov. 6, incumbent Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., will face off against Republican and former Rhode Island Supreme Court Justice Robert Flanders ’71 in the Rhode Island Senate midterm elections.

Census dry run faces lack of funding, publicity

Metro, News

October 14, 2018 0 comments

The 2020 Census’ first and only dry run was conducted in Providence County earlier this year. The test run included a new ability to respond to the census through an online survey but did not include the controversial “citizenship question,” which would ask respondents about their U.S. citizenship status.

University student groups, campus centers gear up for midterm elections

Metro, News

October 2, 2018 0 comments

As the Nov. 6 election approaches, the Swearer Center for Public Service is working with the Brown College Democrats, the Brown University Republicans and the Brown Progressive Action Committee to mobilize student voting in an attempt to improve the 13 percent student voter turnout of the 2014 midterms.

Four panelists from across the U.S. political spectrum all agreed that President Trump lies at an unprecedented rate.

Metro, News

Panel talks role of media in Trump era

October 2, 2018 0 comments

Discussion of America’s rapidly changing media landscape alternated between heated arguments and unanimous agreement among panelists at the Joukowsky Forum in the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs yesterday.