Topic: Rhode Island politics

Metro, News

R. I. General Assembly votes to criminalize revenge porn

April 17, 2018 0 comments

Robyn Giragosian did not plan for her nude photographs to proliferate throughout her community when she took them for her partner at the beginning of their romantic relationship.

Op-eds, Opinions

Story ’19, Greenwell ’20: Students must fight for reproductive rights in R.I.

April 16, 2018 0 comments

Many Brown students assume that Rhode Island’s status as a blue state — and its reputation for progressivism on the national stage — means that we live in a safe haven of reproductive rights.

The R.I. House of Representatives passed a bill that would allow courts to issue protection orders against individuals deemed a threat.

Metro, News

House passes ‘Red Flag’ bill to combat gun violence

April 13, 2018 0 comments

The Rhode Island House of Representatives voted 60 to eight Thursday to pass a “Red Flag” bill that would allow courts to take action against individuals who own a firearm and are considered to pose imminent danger to themselves or others.

Op-eds, Opinions

Israel ’21, Rock ’19: Rhode Island needs in-person early voting

April 11, 2018 0 comments

In 37 states and Washington D.C., voters may cast a ballot in person at some point before election day; in Rhode Island, you cannot.

Number of women in statewide, national races up since 2016

Metro, News

March 11, 2018 0 comments

More women are running for office in the Rhode Island General Assembly in this election cycle than previously, according to Rhode Island Public Radio.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Prospect Medical Holdings improves quality

March 6, 2018 0 comments

After reading the United Nurses and Allied Professionals union’s self-serving op-ed last week, as a Brown alum and Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc. executive, I am compelled to provide a number of missing facts and context that more accurately tell the story of Prospect’s commitment.

Metro, News

Metro Roundup, Feb. 22

February 22, 2018 0 comments

Ken Wagner, the commissioner of Rhode Island, held a hearing earlier this month to gauge public support for a measure that would require all Rhode Island schools to provide protections for transgender students, the Providence Journal previously reported.

Columns, Opinions

Aman ’20: Rethinking the Fight for 15

February 21, 2018 0 comments

On Feb. 8, progressive Democrats in the Rhode Island General Assembly, including Aaron Regunberg ’12, unveiled their 2018 “Fair Shot Agenda.”

The Rhode Island General Assembly held an atypical Sept. session last Tuesday in an effort to resolve three issues left unaddressed in the summer.

Metro, News

Rhode Island Senate meets for special session

September 25, 2017 0 comments

A legislative session of the Rhode Island General Assembly was held last Tuesday to resume issues left unaddressed in June.

Rhode Island bill seeks to limit conversion therapy

Metro, News

March 14, 2017 0 comments

Conversion therapy has come under fire in the State Assembly of Rhode Island, where it is still a legal practice.