Topic: Same-sex marriage

Metro

PC students protest canceled marriage talk

October 22, 2013 0 comments

After the fallout, the Board of Trustees amended the college’s anti-discrimiation policy.

Director of Financial Aid Jim Tilton said that though the ruling is unlikely to change official University policy, he hopes it will encourage more open discussion about families’ financial situations.

DOMA reforms federal financial aid for same-sex couples and their children

September 11, 2013 0 comments

The U. already recognizes same-sex marriages in determining aid packages for students .

Speaker of the House Rep. Gordon Fox, D-Providence, officiated the wedding of Rep. Frank Ferri, D-Warwick, and his husband Tony Caparco. Gov. Lincoln Chafee’75 P’14 participated in the service as the ring-bearer.

Metro

R.I. issues first same-sex marriage certificates

September 3, 2013 0 comments

A Brown alum was among the first to receive a marriage certificate in the state.

Four members of the Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church picketed across Rhode Island, protesting the  first day of same-sex marriage legalization in Rhode Island Aug. 1.

Anti-gay rally sparks community response

September 3, 2013 0 comments

Hundreds of counter-protesters turned out to support gay pride and same-sex marriage.

(Herald file photo.)

Metro

Live blog: Day one of same-sex marriage in Rhode Island

August 1, 2013 1 comment

Aug. 1 marks the first day same-sex couples will be able to marry in Rhode Island. Follow The Herald’s live blog of the day’s events.

Students celebrate the legalization of same-sex marriage in Rhode Island.

After 16 years, R.I. legalizes same-sex marriage

May 24, 2013 0 comments
This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2013

A signature from Gov. Lincoln Chafee ’75 P’14 May 2 concluded a 16-year-long journey to legalize same-sex marriage in Rhode Island.

The bill signing ceremony was held on the south steps of the State House.

Metro, Photo Gallery

Rhode Island legalizes same-sex marriage

May 3, 2013 0 comments

Gov. Lincoln Chafee ’75 P’14 signed the historic legislation at a State House ceremony yesterday.

Onlookers filled the Senate viewing galleries and the overflow viewing area designated for extra people. Though a majority of visitors supported same-sex marriage, around 40 people came to oppose the bill.

Metro

As senators debate, activists protest, react

April 25, 2013 0 comments

The final vote in favor of same-sex marriage was met with both elation and disappointment.

Sen. Donna Nesselbush ’84, D-Pawtucket — the legislation’s primary sponsor — audience members and other senators celebrated the passage of the same-sex marriage bill after seeing the vote total appear on the screen.

Metro

R.I. Senate approves same-sex marriage

April 25, 2013 3 comments

The legislation will likely be signed into law within the next few weeks and would take effect Aug. 1.

Metro

Senate to vote on same-sex marriage bill today

April 24, 2013 0 comments

All five of Rhode Island’s Republican senators announced they will vote in favor of the legislation.