Topic: School of Public Health

Panel talks importance of trans-centered research

News, Science & Research

October 18, 2018 0 comments

At an event hosted by the School of Public Health Wednesday night, Michelle Forcier, professor of pediatrics and associate dean of medicine at the Alpert Medical School, posed a pertinent question: “How many people in this room experience gender?” Everyone in the room raised their hands.

Prior to arriving to Brown to study public health, Khaled Almilaji worked as a doctor in Syria where he was arrested and imprisoned by the Assad regime in 2011 for treating government protestors.

News, University News

Former University student builds hospital in Syria

October 2, 2018 0 comments

Former Master’s of Public Health student Khaled Almilaji realized his vision of building an underground hospital in his home country of Syria with the help of the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs’ Humanitarian Innovation Initiative and University student groups.

Michael Sacchet’10 presents his research on the neuroscience of mindfulness and how the practice can be used as an emotional regulation technique for individuals with depression, anxiety and other mood disorders.

News, Science & Research

Alum talks personalized mindfulness at School of Public Health

September 19, 2018 0 comments

Matthew Sacchet ’10, a postdoctoral scholar from Stanford University, delivered a lecture at the School of Public Health Tuesday on “personalized mindfulness practices,” according to the event description.

Assistant Professor Lisa Littman’s study suggests that online forums and social media have allowed transgender identities to spread among youth.

News, Science & Research

Gender dysphoria study faces criticism

September 4, 2018 0 comments

On Aug. 22, the University published a press release on the first-ever research study to investigate “rapid-onset gender dysphoria,” which was authored by Lisa Littman, assistant professor of the practice of behavioral and social sciences in the School of Public Health.

School of Public Health appoints inaugural associate dean for research

News, University News

April 25, 2018 0 comments

On April 10, Professor of Epidemiology David Savitz was announced as the inaugural associate dean for research for the School of Public Health in a community-wide email.

News, Science & Research

Study shows half of patients forget doctors’ instructions

March 21, 2018 0 comments

In the ever-evolving realm of health care in the United States, advancements in patient education have illuminated the need to change the structure of doctor-patient interactions.

University to offer new joint MPH/MPA degree

News, University News

March 7, 2018 0 comments

A partnership between the Watson Institute of International and Public Affairs and the School of Public Health is introducing a new two-year joint Master of Public Health/Master of Public Affairs degree this summer to address the intersection of public health and public policy.

University to establish new Master’s of Science in Global Public Health

News, University News

October 17, 2017 0 comments

A motion to establish a new master’s degree program in global public health was passed at a University faculty meeting Oct. 3.

University selects new School of Public Health dean

News, University News

September 12, 2017 0 comments

Bess Marcus, founder of the University of California at San Diego’s Institute for Public Health, was named the next dean of the School of Public Health.

Kuo selected as SPH assistant dean of diversity, inclusion

News, University News

March 22, 2017 0 comments

The School of Public Health will welcome its first assistant dean for diversity and inclusion come April 1.