Topic: science and research

Brenda Rubenstein ’07 was named to the Talented 12 Class of 2019, which honors young researchers for contributions to their fields.

News, Science & Research

Chemistry professor honored for quantum work

October 16, 2019 0 comments

Brenda Rubenstein ’07, assistant professor of chemistry, was recently named to the Talented 12 Class of 2019. This exclusive distinction is given to researchers in varying chemical disciplines and from varying backgrounds to highlight their early-career work.

The Plavicki lab uses zebrafish as a model organism to understand the DNA regulatory transcription factor sox9b and its relation to the heart, brain and other physiological systems.

News, Science & Research

University scientists see effects of environmental contamination in zebrafish

October 4, 2019 0 comments

Since 2016, the Plavicki lab has explored the ways that environmental contaminants, which are chemical stressors, affect the brain and heart development of zebrafish.

The Big Bang Science Fair, which took place at WaterFire Saturday evening, included speakers, workshops and booth activities to engage community members in science and increase interest in STEM.

News, Science & Research

Community science fair kindles curiosity in STEM

October 1, 2019 0 comments

Golden embers flickered and twirled, darting out of the flames that leaned over the Providence River where crowds had gathered under an assemblage of white, pop-up tents for the second annual Big Bang Science Fair late Saturday evening.

‘Craving to quit’ app teaches mindfulness to counter smoking addiction

News, Science & Research

September 27, 2019 0 comments

For smokers looking for alternatives to help wean themselves off nicotine, researchers at the School of Public Health have a new option — a mindfulness app.

‘Metronome cells’  may play timekeeping role in brain

News, Science & Research

‘Metronome cells’ may play timekeeping role in brain

September 25, 2019 1 comment

University researchers have discovered a new subset of cells — “metronome cells” — that may act as timekeepers in the brain, a finding that contributes new information to one of the biggest debates in neuroscience.

Researchers discover new method of cell separation

News, Science & Research

September 12, 2019 0 comments

University researchers have discovered how to separate cells containing fetal DNA from a mother’s cervical cells, a process that could eventually be used to help identify fetal disorders, according to Sumaiya Sayeed ’19.5 and Christina Bailey-Hytholt GS, researchers in the study.

Science and Research Roundup, Sept. 12

News, Science & Research

Science and Research Roundup, Sept. 12

September 12, 2019 0 comments

The muscles in bat wings function at markedly lower temperatures than the other muscles in their bodies, but still effectively keep the mammals airborne, according to findings from Andrea Rummel GS, Professor of Biology and Engineering Sharon Swartz and Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Richard Marsh.

A team of University researchers designed a material that can be molded into structures and adapted to reshape itself. They used a light-directed 3D printer to create the dynamic hydrogel.

News, Science & Research

University researchers design LEGO-block like material

April 19, 2019 0 comments

University researchers have brought the childlike appeal of LEGO blocks to the chemistry lab — a newly invented material can stick to itself, be molded to form a structure and, when needed, can adapt to reshape itself, just like a set of LEGOs built into various shapes.

University researchers develop tool to identify areas of toxic waste contamination

News, Science & Research

March 13, 2019 0 comments

A team of two current and one former University researchers has designed a geospatial tool and database that can map and identify likely regions of toxic waste contamination in Rhode Island, with applications in transportation, ecology, policy-making and quality of life, among others.

University class collaborates with private space company

News, Science & Research

March 8, 2019 0 comments

Last semester as part of a graduate-level seminar class, a group of students partnered with private space company OrbitBeyond to help plan for OrbitBeyond’s lunar rover launch in 2020.