Topic: Sock and Buskin

The play was written by Japanese playwright Toshiki Okada and translated by Aya Ogawa, the translator of over a dozen of Okada’s works. Several different actors portray the show’s two protagonists at the same time, which Ogawa noted made translation difficult. Sock and Buskin’s show will run at Leeds Theatre through Sunday, April 14.

Arts & Culture

Sock and Buskin play explores identity, technology with complex structure

April 9, 2019 0 comments

Sock and Buskin’s production of “The Sonic Life of a Giant Tortoise,” now showing at Leeds Theatre through April 14, uses a University setting and fragmented narration to touch on themes of alienation, technology, identity and the mundanity of everyday life.

“Hedda Gabler” focuses on proto-feminist themes surrounding domesticity and bourgeouis life. Staged by the Department of Theatre Arts and Performance Studies and directed by Professor Spencer Golub, the production emphasized the physical movements of each character.

Arts & Culture

Sock & Buskin performs Isben’s play ‘Hedda Gabler’

March 7, 2019 0 comments

On Feb. 28, the Department of Theatre Arts and Performance Studies premiered its rendition of the play “Hedda Gabler” in a new version by Brian Friel, directed by Professor Spencer Golub.

“The Love Song of J. Robert Oppenheimer” follows the physicist’s personal and professional life. The shows runs again from Nov. 10 to 13. at 8 p.m.

Arts & Culture

Play examines ethics of A-bomb creation

November 9, 2016 0 comments

The play examines the life of one of the 20th century’s most profound and tortured scientific minds.

Sock and Buskin’s “By The Way, Meet Vera Stark”  about the early and late stages of a fictional actress’ career offers social criticism through humor.

Arts & Culture

‘By The Way, Meet Vera Stark’ cuts deep with humor

October 5, 2016 0 comments

Sock and Buskin’s “By The Way, Meet Vera Stark” employs screwball comedy as a means of social critique.

“By the Way, Meet Vera Stark” underscores the importance of preventing ambitions from interfering with personal relationships. Produced by Sock & Buskin and based on Lynn Nottage’s ’86 satirical screenplay, the production will run Sept. 29 to Oct. 2 and Oct. 6 to 9.

Arts & Culture

Alum’s production tackles historical racism with comedy

September 29, 2016 0 comments

Sock & Buskin’s production “By the Way, Meet Vera Stark” will premiere Sept. 29.