Topic: Urban Environmental Lab

After students met with legislators in Washington D.C. last week, a small group presented to Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-RI and Congressman David Cicilline, D-RI to further discuss their research.

News, Science & Research

Whitehouse, Cicilline meet with climate lab

December 4, 2018 0 comments

On Monday morning in a small room on the second floor of the Urban Environmental Lab, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-RI and Congressman David Cicilline, D-RI, met with members of the Climate Development Lab.

The preservationists & the provokers

The preservationists & the provokers

May 25, 2018 0 comments
This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018

The Providence Preservation Society has been organizing community members for over half a century to advocate for the preservation of Providence’s historic buildings that capture the city’s character and heritage.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Destroying the UEL would betray the community

February 8, 2018 0 comments

I fully understand the need for a larger, upgraded performance space.

Illick-Frank ’18, Sharpe ’18: Don’t write off the UEL just yet

Op-eds, Opinions

February 7, 2018 0 comments

Updated on Feb. 9, 2018 at 12:08 a.m. If distinction is the rubble of five historic buildings, then by all means Brown is building on distinction. The University plans to break ground on a new performing arts center in a location currently occupied by the Urban Environmental Lab — the […]

After a December hearing featured concerns from various community members, the vote on the possible demolition of historic sites to build the performing arts center was postponed a second time.

News, University News

Arts center met with controversy from Providence locals

February 6, 2018 0 comments

The Providence City Plan Commission has moved the vote on the University’s plan to build a performing arts center — which has sparked controversy over the possibility of demolishing or moving five historic buildings  — to March 20.

During its two-day meeting, the Corporation approved the proposed site of a new performing arts center that will require the controversial demolition of the Urban Environmental Lab.

News, University News

Corporation approves site for performing arts center

May 29, 2017 0 comments

The Corporation approved the controversial site along the Walk between main campus and Pembroke for a new performing arts center

Op-eds, Opinions

Mackie ’59: Performing arts and Brown’s obligations to historic preservation

May 24, 2017 0 comments

Several years ago, Brown engaged famous author-illustrator David Macaulay to chronicle Brown’s historic campus.