Topic: Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs

“The Perfect Immigrant and Other Myths” was hosted by the Center for Latin American Caribbean Studies in their storytelling lecture series.

News, University News

Nina Alvarez discusses immigration policies, experiences

November 12, 2019 0 comments

While speaking to students about her documentaries on the immigrant experience, Columbia Journalism School Professor Nina Alvarez addressed misconceptions surrounding the American dream and immigration into the United States.

Assistant Professor of History Daniel Rodriguez spoke about Chilean historical memory at the “Chile Woke Up” panel Monday evening.

News, University News

‘Chile Woke Up’ arrives at University

November 12, 2019 0 comments

Yesterday night, Pamela Ipinza, an employee of the Museum of Memory and Human Rights of Chile, stayed behind at her job in Santiago after many of her colleagues had gone home for the evening.

The “20 Years of War” series, which began at the Watson Institute this fall, will build upon the Cost of War project’s existing data on the human, economic, social and political costs of the post-9/11 wars.

News, Science & Research, University News

‘Costs of War’ project initiates research series to evaluate post-9/11 wars

November 8, 2019 0 comments

As federal spending on the post-9/11 wars has ballooned to $5.9 trillion, the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs joined with the The Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future at Boston University to initiate a new “20 Years of War” research series this fall.

The former U.S. Ambassador to Mexico defined three historical periods in the U.S.-Mexico relationship. He also suggested that the U.S. may be entering a new phase of its relationship following the Trump administration’s hostility toward Mexican immigrants.

News, University News

Gutiérrez talks history of U.S.-Mexico relationship

October 29, 2019 0 comments

Following leadership changes in both countries, the United States and Mexico may be moving into a new phase of their relationship, said former Mexican Ambassador to the United States Gerónimo Gutiérrez Fernández P’22 in a talk Oct. 28.

Samantha Power discussed her new book called “The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir” with community members yesterday.

News, University News

Power talks importance of individual change

October 25, 2019 0 comments

On June 4, 1989, Ambassador Samantha Power was working for an Atlanta TV station covering sports news — her summer job after her first year at Yale —  when one of the screens in the video booth where she was working started flashing images of students protesting in Tienanmen Square, Beijing. 

Student panelists described experiencing U.S.-centrism and a lack of non-Western perspectives in the curriculum and classrooms of the Watson Institute.

News, University News

Teach-in critiques colonialism in Watson

October 25, 2019 0 comments

Student panelists spoke passionately about their experiences of colonialism in the curriculum and classrooms of the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs during a packed Wednesday teach-in.

Letter: Maintaining the spirit of open debate

Letters to the Editor

October 22, 2019 0 comments

I appreciated The Herald’s coverage of my “Family Weekend” lecture on the protest movement in Hong Kong. 

Former Governor of Ohio John Kasich delivered a lecture before hundreds of students Wednesday night.

News, University News

John Kasich talks bipartisanship, impeachment

October 17, 2019 0 comments

To hundreds of students on a rainy Wednesday night, former Governor of Ohio John Kasich made the case for individuals across the country to take action on issues that matter to them, rather than waiting for politicians in Washington to affect change.

The Watson Institute expanded the Student Advisory Committee, which now has 24 students compared to seven last year.

News, University News

Watson Institute expands size, scope of Student Advisory Committee

October 17, 2019 0 comments

The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs has expanded the size and scope of its Student Advisory Committee, which will organize events, provide student input on changes at the Watson Institute and build the Institute’s presence on campus.

At ACCRIP’s first meeting of the academic year, members of the committee and students discussed whether Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories constitutes social harm. ACCRIP Chair Chi-Ming Hai facilitated a conversation between student groups for and against divestment.

News, University News

Middle East Studies program becomes Center at Watson

October 16, 2019 0 comments

At the beginning of this semester, the Middle East Studies program was renamed the Center for Middle East Studies as it joined other regional centers within the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs. The new name indicates the University’s permanent commitment to the concentration and grants the department greater […]