Topic: Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs

Isaac Dovere, a staff writer for The Atlantic, will lead a non-credit Watson seminar this fall titled “Political Journalism in 2019.”

News, University News

Seminar to examine role of media in politics

September 12, 2019 0 comments

As a staff writer for The Atlantic reporting on the 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, Edward-Isaac Dovere is no stranger to political journalism and its constant demands.

Acosta and Klein '80, who hired Acosta, spoke in Stephen Robert Hall Wednesday to talk about restoring public trust in the media.

News, University News

CNN’s Jim Acosta talks Trump, journalism’s future

April 4, 2019 0 comments

Faced with “fake news” accusations from President Donald Trump himself, Chief White House Correspondent for CNN Jim Acosta knows a thing or two about standing tough in the heavily scrutinized “new frontier of journalism.”

‘The Rise of China: Past, Present and Future’ featured professors Head, Nedostup, Steinfeld and Zheng. This installment of the University’s “Building on Distinction” series was moderated by Provost Locke on Monday.

News, University News

Interdisciplinary panel discusses China’s ‘Past, Present and Future’

March 19, 2019 0 comments

On Monday night, University professors came together to examine China through four distinct lenses: space exploration, environmental science, politics and history.

Former acting assistant secretary of state for African affairs and former ambassador to Saudi Arabia discussed the ramifications of U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, highlighting challenges to U.S. involvement in the region.

News, University News

Former U.S. ambassador argues for foreign policy change in Middle East

March 12, 2019 0 comments

When the United States implements ineffective foreign policy, the government instinctually pushes more resources and energy toward that failing policy, a tendency that has proven detrimental in the Middle East, said Chas Freeman, Jr.

CCC discusses combining Watson concentrations

News, University News

February 27, 2019 0 comments

Director of the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs Edward Steinfeld P’20 presented a draft proposal that would combine the Institute’s three concentrations — development studies, international relations and public policy — at yesterday’s College Curriculum Council meeting.

Watson senior fellow and former World Bank President Jim Yong Kim discussed his concerns for the developing world at a talk Thursday.

News, University News

Former World Bank President discusses climate change

February 8, 2019 0 comments

What can Brown prepare you for? If you use Jim Yong Kim ’82 P’22 as a model, it could prepare you for a spot on Forbes’ list of the most powerful people in the world.

U.S. Congressman joins Watson Institute as senior fellow

News, University News

February 7, 2019 0 comments

U.S. Congressman David Cicilline ’83, D-R.I., has been named a senior fellow at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and will teach a course for the Masters of Public Affairs program beginning in April, the University announced in late January.

Watson initiative presents Costs of War findings in D.C.

News, University News

November 27, 2018 0 comments

The United States has contributed $5.9 trillion to post-9/11 wars that have resulted in around 500,000 casualties, according to two studies produced by the Costs of War initiative from the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs.

Miller ’19: ‘Global studies’ proposal bites off more than it can chew

Columns, Opinions

October 31, 2018 0 comments

The Dean of the College released a report that synthesized the work of a committee created last semester to review the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and three of its concentrations — development studies, international relations and public policy.

University relaunches center for international economics

News, University News

October 3, 2018 0 comments

This fall, the University re-launched the William R. Rhodes Center for International Economics and Finance, which aims to support “interdisciplinary scholarship that seeks to understand how … global processes matter for both local politics and national welfare,” according to the Rhodes Center’s website.