Topic: Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs

Watson senior fellow and former World Bank President Jim Yong Kim discussed his concerns for the developing world at a talk Thursday.

News, University News

Former World Bank President discusses climate change

February 8, 2019 0 comments

What can Brown prepare you for? If you use Jim Yong Kim ’82 P’22 as a model, it could prepare you for a spot on Forbes’ list of the most powerful people in the world.

U.S. Congressman joins Watson Institute as senior fellow

News, University News

February 7, 2019 0 comments

U.S. Congressman David Cicilline ’83, D-R.I., has been named a senior fellow at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and will teach a course for the Masters of Public Affairs program beginning in April, the University announced in late January.

Watson initiative presents Costs of War findings in D.C.

News, University News

November 27, 2018 0 comments

The United States has contributed $5.9 trillion to post-9/11 wars that have resulted in around 500,000 casualties, according to two studies produced by the Costs of War initiative from the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs.

Miller ’19: ‘Global studies’ proposal bites off more than it can chew

Columns, Opinions

October 31, 2018 0 comments

The Dean of the College released a report that synthesized the work of a committee created last semester to review the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and three of its concentrations — development studies, international relations and public policy.

University relaunches center for international economics

News, University News

October 3, 2018 0 comments

This fall, the University re-launched the William R. Rhodes Center for International Economics and Finance, which aims to support “interdisciplinary scholarship that seeks to understand how … global processes matter for both local politics and national welfare,” according to the Rhodes Center’s website. 

Michael Steele served as Republican National Committee Chairman from 2009 to 2011. Steele brings experience in politics, public policy, law and the media to the Watson Institute in his role as a faculty fellow.

News, University News

Former RNC chairman joins Watson

September 12, 2018 0 comments

Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele will join the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs as a faculty fellow and lead a series of study groups this fall semester, the University announced in late August.

Greek and Chilean street art adorns campus

Arts & Culture

June 3, 2018 0 comments

Students who frequent the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs may have noticed the addition of two black vinyl tape lines running parallel in a geometric pattern across the side of the building’s staircase.

Former Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, currently serves as the president of the Asia Society Policy Institute and co-chair of the China Global Affairs Council of the World Economic Forum.

News, University News

Former Australian prime minister talks China under Xi Jinping

April 24, 2018 0 comments

Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd joked about interacting with many Chinese youth who seemed to prioritize materialism over Marxist ideals — just one of many examples of China’s multidimensionality — while discussing China’s future prospects.

Op-eds, Opinions

Froid ’21: Inviting Jeb Bush to speak is irresponsible

April 6, 2018 0 comments

It was announced recently that the University intends to have former Florida Governor Jeb Bush come to campus to deliver the Stephen A. Ogden Jr. ’60 Memorial Lecture on International Affairs.

University to offer new joint MPH/MPA degree

News, University News

March 7, 2018 0 comments

A partnership between the Watson Institute of International and Public Affairs and the School of Public Health is introducing a new two-year joint Master of Public Health/Master of Public Affairs degree this summer to address the intersection of public health and public policy.