Topic: Watson Institute for International Studies

Eric Patashnik, director of Watson’s Public Policy Program, moderated a panel Monday evening on the political future of America.

News, University News

Democrat, Republican discuss future of America under Trump

November 6, 2017 0 comments

As is the case with many modern political issues, Democrats and Republicans are divided on how they see the future of the United States under Trump.

At the Watson Institute Thursday, Political Science Professor Wendy Schiller discussed how each candidate has handled the presidential election.

Blyth, Schiller compare candidates’ rhetoric

September 23, 2016 0 comments

The event touched on a number of topics including foreign diplomacy, domestic policy, and how both candidates are not ideal in the eyes of many Americans.

Watson reports put price tag on post-9/11 wars

September 22, 2016 0 comments

The money flows out — from public and private coffers to military contractors, overseas partners and veteran hospitals.

Professors Tricia Rose and James Morone held a panel on how race has affected the 2016 election at the Watson Institute for International And Public Affairs.

Political experts discuss race in election

September 16, 2016 0 comments

The two experts spoke on the unpredictable, yet historically consistent, role of race in the 2016 presidential election in a talk Thursday.

Tricia Rose captivated the audience at the first in a series of lectures that will explore how structural racism affects virtually all parts of society.

Rose MA’87 PhD’93, Prasad MA’03 PhD’06 take on administrative roles

June 30, 2016 0 comments

With the fall semester a mere two months away, four individuals will begin their positions as University administrators July 1.

Domingo Morel MA’11 PhD’14 said that Latinos, the second largest racial group in the United States, should have greater political recognition.

Hispanic, Latino political scholars discuss election

March 16, 2016 0 comments

Watson hosted a discussion Tuesday titled “The 2016 Presidential Election and the Hispanic Vote” on the growing importance of Latinos in U.S. politics.

As associate director, Carrie Nordlund MA’01 PhD’06 will oversee the Masters of Public Affairs program at the Watson Institute.

Nordlund to head Master’s of Public Affairs program

February 25, 2016 0 comments

Carrie Nordlund MA’01 PhD’06 is the new associate director of the Public Policy Program and senior administrator of the Master’s of Public Affairs Program.

Former ambassador talks faulty U.S. foreign policy

February 12, 2016 0 comments

Ambassador Chas Freeman Jr., senior fellow at the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs, gave a talk on U.S. foreign policy Thursday.

Guy Edwards, research fellow at the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society, Isabel Cavelier, minister counselor to the U.N., Natalie Unterstell, fellow at Harvard, Camila Bustos ’16, Ximena Carranza ’17 and J. Timmons Roberts, professor of environmental studies, discuss climate action in Latin America.

Presentation addresses climate change in Latin America

February 12, 2016 0 comments

Panelists discussed the significance of the Paris Climate Conference as a prime example of Latin American countries stepping into policy-making positions.

Senior fellow critiques American policy

February 5, 2016 0 comments

Chas Freeman Jr., a long-time bureaucrat and senior fellow at the Watson Institute, presented his opinions on the fall of American superiority.