Topic: Women in STEM

Study highlights lack of women authorship

News, Science & Research

March 8, 2019 0 comments

After watching the 2016 film “Hidden Figures,” which detailed the lives and work of three black women at NASA in the 1960s, many viewers were left inspired as the film shed greater light on the concealed contributions of women in STEM.

(from left to right) Ayanna Howard '93, danah boyd '00 and Mary Lou Jepsen '96 were named to Forbes Magazine's latest list of Top 50 Women in Tech.

News, Science & Research

Alums named to ‘Top 50 Women in Tech’

March 8, 2019 0 comments

The latest list of Top 50 Women in Tech in Forbes Magazine featured three University alums ­­— all of whom challenged structural barriers and drove technological innovation to new heights.

Female scientists celebrate accomplishments

News, Science & Research

April 21, 2017 0 comments

Six successful female scientists delivered a series of public lectures on their work in various fields at “Inspiring Women in Science 2017.”

Shetterly discusses history of ‘Hidden Figures’

News, University News

March 14, 2017 0 comments

Margot Lee Shetterly gave the keynote address for Women’s History Month at the University March 13.

Over the next decade, a quarter of current STEM workers will retire, said Mary Fernández ’85 ScM’89 P’16 P’19, in a lecture on workforce diversity.

Alum talks underrepresentation in STEM

March 4, 2016 3 comments

Fernández’s lecture, “Hidden in Plain Sight: Changing the Face of the U.S. STEM Workforce,” marked the convergence of two separate, sporadic lecture series.

Science & Research

Research Spotlight: Professor honored for advancements in artificial intelligence

January 28, 2016 0 comments

The smaller the chameleon, the more powerful its tongue, wrote Christopher Anderson, postdoctoral research associate in ecology and evolutionary biology.