Finalists for senior administrative positions to be interviewed in coming weeks

Search committees are close to creating a list of finalists for two open administrative positions: vice president for campus life and student services and vice president for public affairs and University relations. Luiz Valente, associate professor of Portuguese and Brazilian studies, is heading the search committee for the new vice president for campus life and student services. The position is currently occupied by an interim vice president, David Greene, who was formerly President Ruth Simmons' executive assistant. Valente would say only that he is "comfortable' with the applicant pool and declined to comment on whether Greene is a candidate for the position.The ideal candidate combines strong managerial and interpersonal skills, Valente said. The Office of Campus Life, which reports to the Office of Student Life, oversees a range of administrative departments, including the Third World Center, the Office of the Chaplain, Brown Dining Services and the Department of Athletics.The search committee is made up of 11 members, including four faculty members, two administrators, three undergraduates and two graduate students, he said. Valente said the search committee has advertised for the position in several academic journals, including the Chronicle of Higher Education. Some candidates were nominated for the position by their colleagues, while others submitted applications on their own, according to Valente. The committee has received about 100 applications, he said.Valente said the committee hopes to compose a list of finalists before Spring Break. At that point, the search committee will invite the finalists to campus, where they will meet with the committee, student leaders and possibly Simmons. After meeting with the finalists, the search committee will make recommendations to Simmons, who has the final say in the hiring process.John Savage, professor of computer science, is heading the search committee for the vice president for public affairs and University relations. The office handles community and government relations, publishes the George Street Journal and the Brown Alumni Magazine and manages University events.Savage's committee has 14 members, including four members of the Corporation, four University administrators, four faculty members and two representatives of an outside search firm, who have been able to seek out potential applicants. Savage said there is "no expectation" of student involvement in the decision-making process."We're getting close to creating a list of finalists," Savage said, adding that finalists should be invited to campus for interviews within a few weeks."Our intention is to present this university with some very high-caliber candidates," he said.