City and state move to divest from Sudan

Following the decision of Brown's highest governing body to divest from companies that do business with Sudan last month, both the city of Providence and the state of Rhode Island are considering doing the same.

At the March 16 meeting of the City Council, Miguel Luna of Ward 9 and David Segal of Ward 1 introduced a resolution for the city of Providence to divest from all companies that do business with the Sudanese government.

According to Scott Warren '09, a leader of Brown's Darfur Action Network, the resolution is significant because - if it passes - Providence would become the first city in the United States to divest from Sudan.

After the University's decision to divest from Sudan on Feb. 25, Warren said, DAN has focused on encouraging both the city of Providence and the state of Rhode Island to divest as well.

"Divestment is getting everybody involved," he said. "College students and city officials are helping to stop genocide in Darfur."

Luna stressed the University's crucial role in leading the divestment movement. He said he introduced the resolution after Brown students approached him about the issue.

Segal said the timing of the resolution seemed right.

"We were hoping we could capture some of Brown's momentum," he said. He added that he hopes the resolution will trigger divestment movements nationwide.

The resolution has been referred to the City Council Finance Committee, which will review the proposal, assess the city's investments and make amendments as necessary. The current resolution is only one sentence long, and the committee will develop the resolution further. Later in the process, the committee will have an open hearing on the legislation.

If the resolution passes the five-member Finance Committee, it will then go before the full City Council for a vote. Segal said he is hopeful this vote will take place April 6.

Luna said that while Providence residents may feel helpless when confronted by an overwhelming problem like genocide in Darfur, there are concrete steps that can be taken at the local level to effect global change.

"We have to be responsible for what happens around the world, especially with our money," Luna said.

Warren said while the city's divestment will not involve a large sum of money, he believes the action is still significant. "It's a national movement that keeps on growing," Warren said, adding that local efforts may prompt neighboring cities and states to follow suit.

Meanwhile, at the state level, Rep. Joseph Almeida, D-District 12, has requested the drafting of a similar divestiture bill.

So far, only three states have divested from Sudan - New Jersey, Oregon and Illinois.

The divestment bill, once drafted, would need to be approved by the House Finance Committee before being voted on by the full General Assembly. If passed, the bill will go to Republican Gov. Don Carcieri '65.

Rep. Edith Ajello, D-District 3, said she hopes to co-sponsor the bill and is optimistic it will pass and serve as an example for others.

"Our investments are small in comparison to other states, but this is something where we can say, 'We don't want any part in that,'" she said.

Ajello said she believes the bill will garner bipartisan support in the General Assembly.

Rep. James Davey, R-District 15, agreed.

"You can't put a Democrat or Republican label on this," Davey said. "It's from the heart; it's about how you feel government should work."

Davey also credited Brown's decision to divest as leading the way on the issue.

"Brown showing some leadership here gets people off their chairs and on their feet, doing something they might not have otherwise done," he said.