Campus buildings lose heat for 2 days

A leak in a high-temperature hot water heating line forced Facilities Management to shut off heat to a large section of campus on Friday and Saturday while the leak could be bypassed.

The heat to campus buildings south of Angell Street was shut off around 4 a.m. Friday and was turned back on around 9 p.m. on Saturday. The affected buildings included buildings on the Main Green, East Campus and Wriston Quad and Keeney Quad. Buildings north of Angell were not affected.

According to Carl Weaver, director of physical plant at Facilities Management, the leak was first noticed about two weeks ago, but officials decided to make repairs at a time when it would be "least inconvenient to the campus," or over Thanksgiving break. He estimated that there were about 300 students remaining on campus over the break, but that hot water should not have been affected by the shut-off.

Weaver said that the leak has been bypassed and will be fully repaired in the next few weeks. "Everything's working well," he said.

An e-mail was sent out Wednesday evening to students living in affected buildings notifying them of the heat shut-off. Weaver said that Facilities only received a few calls complaining about the cold in dorms, all of those from Graduate Center.

Andrew Ahn '08, who spent the break in Keeney, said it was "(expletive) freezing" at night. He said he "didn't pay too much attention to" the e-mail notifying residents that the heat would be off, but that he quickly figured out what was going on.

But Takuma Nakamoto '08, also in Keeney, said, "Actually, it wasn't that cold," though he did keep a jacket on indoors.