Move over Yanks, Red Sox joining ranks of Evil Empire

Before I get to sports, there's something I need to get off my chest. I know I am in the minority here, but why do people enjoy "24"? What is so special about another plot to kill the president, a nuclear bomb chase, a short guy running around, yelling into a cell phone for an hour while the computer nerd back at headquarters tries to hack into the mainframe, all in anticipation of a few brief moments of second-tier action? There is zero actual drama. While Jack was doing the standard, which-wire-to-cut crap with the frantic bomb expert who is trying to redeem herself telling him what to do, did anyone actually think for one moment that it would go off? This show sucks. It feels just like when "Anchorman" came out, and everyone except me decided Will Ferrell as (once again) the idiot guy lacking in self-awareness, who inexplicably attracts a beautiful woman, is somehow genius comedy.

This is supposed to be a sports column, so it's time to get to some sports. We're only days away from pitchers and catchers reporting to camp, which means we're also that much closer to opening day for my favorite sport in the world. For all you Will Ferrells out there, I'm talking about baseball.

As a Yankees fan, I'm very much aware of the problem of parity in baseball. The economics of baseball make it extremely difficult, though not impossible, for small market teams to succeed. Unfortunately, however, parity is a thing of the past. Let me explain why the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees will absolutely own baseball for as long as Boy Wonder (Theo Epstein) and Cash Money (Brian Cashman) are at the helm.

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, the Red Sox have joined the Yankees as one of the Evil Empires of Major League Baseball. As it stands, the Sox have a payroll of approximately $150 million, just $20 million less than the Yankees. To put that in perspective, the Florida Marlins had a payroll of less than $15 million in 2006. I imagine most Sox fans are pulling a Luke Skywalker after being told Darth Vadar is his father right now but it's time to come out and admit the Red Sox have joined the Dark Side.

With that being said, the reason these two teams will own baseball goes beyond the fact that they can afford more free agents. Indeed, not even these two powerhouses can buy a ring anymore. Not in today's baseball: just ask Gil Meche and Barry Zito. The Sox and the Yanks increased emphasis on their farm systems, which will make them even more dominant. For example, the Red Sox refused to part with a young relief pitcher with a 6.63 ERA named Craig Hansen to acquire Todd Helton and his lifetime .333 batting average, and the Yankees dealt Gary Sheffield, Randy Johnson and Jaret Wright for prospects over the winter.

Though patience with prospects has served both franchises well of late, other teams can also focus on the farm system. What separates these two teams from the other 28 is that they are beginning to dominate the amateur draft the way they dominate free agent classes. Ever heard of Lars Anderson? Projected to go in the first round of the draft, Anderson slipped all the way to the 18th round, where the Sox picked him up. Anderson instantly became Boston's best power hitting prospect. How did he fall so far? Money. No one felt they could fit Anderson into their budget except the Sox, who have shelled out $13 million dollars in the last two drafts combined, second only to the Cubs $13.1. The Yankees similarly picked up a first round talent in Dillon Betances, who fell to the ninth round due to "signability" (read: too costly) concerns.

It doesn't stop there. This past summer the Yankees outbid the entire league to land the top international free agent, giving 16-year old Jesus Montero $1.6 million to sign. Meanwhile, the Sox landed seven international free agents of their own, including two of the top four prospects for a combined $1.2 million. If you don't think this is significant, then consider players like Chien-Ming Wang, Alfonso Soriano, and Robinson Cano. All those players were once international free agents that the Yankees outbid the field to get.

This is good news if you live in the Northeast, but if you don't, make room for another team that you love to hate. Ignore my sentiments ... and the empire has already won.

Strike Tom Trudeau '09 down, and your training will be complete!