Mocha '2.0' launches

A new and updated version of Mocha, the student-run alternative to the old Brown Online Course Announcement, will be released this morning, according to co-creator Daniel Leventhal '07. The new program is intended as an alternative for the recently launched Banner Catalog and Course Schedule, which replaced BOCA when they went live on Monday.

Leventhal said a "quick and dirty" version of Mocha would be released first, followed by a more polished and feature-rich version in the weeks following spring break.

"The first version will allow you to do course searches and basic operations, but we hope to develop some more interesting features later on," he said.

Among the new features Leventhal and his team plan to introduce is a course registration for Mocha users that bypasses Banner's controversial user interface. Leventhal said the course registration feature is possible but will require a few "HTML tricks."

Leventhal said the delay in developing new features is due to the way Banner organizes information, which differs greatly from the BOCA did. "We've got to change the way our whole infrastructure works," he said. But Leventhal said Mocha users should expect the new site to look and feel much like the old version.