Ex-mayor of Providence Cianci back on air with new radio show

Former Providence Mayor Vincent "Buddy" Cianci is back on the radio after spending more than four years behind bars.

Cianci, whose new talk-radio show debuted last Thursday, spent his first program fielding calls from faithful Providence supporters who look past his criminal record. Cianci, the longest-serving mayor in city history, went to jail in 2002 after being convicted under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, a law used to battle criminal organizations and public corruption. He was released from Fort Dix Federal Penitentary in New Jersey this summer.

Cianci has been a radio star before. After a decade in office, he resigned in 1984 after pleading no contest to felony assault charges involving his ex-wife's supposed boyfriend. He received a five-year suspended sentence for these charges, during which time he hosted a radio talk show. He returned to public life in 1990 by winning re-election and served as mayor until he went to jail in 2002.

Callers were invariably positive during Cianci's first show on Thursday, reminiscing about their time meeting and campaigning for him and even encouraging him to run for office again, according to the Associated Press.

The AM radio station that broadcasts Cianci's show, 630 WPRO, has been pleased with public reaction so far.

"His institutional memory of all things Rhode Island and politics is incredible," said Paul Giammarco, the station's program director. "He's engaging, controversial, provocative, and intelligent," Giammarco said, adding that these are qualities that make for a great host.

Listeners interviewed by the AP remarked that Cianci hasn't lost his wit, despite physical changes - he lost considerable weight in prison and has stopped wearing his famous hairpieces. He also claimed on the air to have read 500 books while in prison, or, as he jokingly calls it, "vacation," the AP reported.

Cianci's show is broadcast Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.