Ariel Werner '09, Ben Mishkin '08, Jenna Silver '10, Adam Axler '08, Nicholas Greene '10, Emily Sorg '10 and Max Chaiken '09: Students are a vital primary voting bloc

In 1972, gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson went on the road with presidential candidate George McGovern. He observed a young electorate that had abandoned their duty to vote, retreating to Haight-Ashbury and replacing responsible citizenship with mind-altering drugs. In "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail," Thompson channeled the establishment's take on tuning in and dropping out:

"The kids are turned off from politics, they say. Most of 'em don't even want to hear about it. All they want to do these days is lie around on waterbeds and smoke that goddamn marrywanna ... yeah, and just between you and me Fred that's probably all for the best."

In just under a year, Americans will vote in what is arguably the most important presidential election of our lifetimes. In the coming months, the students of our generation will have the chance to prove that we are different. We are informed, we are determined, and we are pissed off.

The 2008 primaries are starting earlier than ever. The Iowa caucus will take place Jan. 3, the New Hampshire primary on Jan. 8. On Feb. 5, 20 states will hold their primary elections.

Feb. 5 is "Super Tuesday" in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Utah. By most accounts, the Democratic and Republican party candidates will be determined that night, launching the longest general election season in the history of our country.

Many students are rightly disillusioned by the ways of Washington. Americans face a future that is altogether scary. We are stuck in a rash and costly war. Our standing in the international community has become shaky. Domestic issues that affect our everyday lives, from education and health care to civil rights and the environment, remain unanswered by our leaders. Our government is more secretive, divisive and gridlocked than ever before.

No wonder so many students have turned a deaf ear toward calls to action. No wonder so many remain largely ignorant of and apathetic to the challenges that we face as a nation, recusing themselves from the process with the excuse that "they aren't into politics."

You don't have to be "into politics" to recognize that our political system is flawed. You don't have to be "into politics" to realize that our futures are at stake. You don't have to be "into politics" to be informed, or to be active and passionate about justice and equality.

In 2008, we have a choice. We can take our place as a powerful, progressive voting bloc. We can show up to the polls in record numbers in January and February and again in November. We can change the direction of our country.

The time to act is now. Register to vote immediately. The secret truth is that young people vote just as much as any other demographic - but we're less likely to be registered. If you can't return to your home state to vote, get an absentee ballot. Different states have different requirements and deadlines for registration and requesting one, making it all the more necessary to act quickly to ensure that you are not disenfranchised.

As the board of Brown Students for Barack Obama, we are committed to the change that a President Obama would represent and enact. We have spent this semester organizing on campus and in Providence, making calls to Iowa voters, and traveling up to New Hampshire to canvass in the cold. We believe that a vote for Barack Obama is a vote to change the direction of our country.

But regardless of who might get your vote, do not abandon the suffrage earned for you by the hard-fought battles of prior generations. The beauty of democracy is its capacity for disagreement, dialogue and cooperation. Our votes, and our voices, are only meaningless if we decline our right to use them. We have to vote to be heard.

The bottom line? Register and vote. Vote for hope. Vote for action. Vote for change.

Ariel Werner '09, Ben Mishkin '08, Jenna Silver '10, Adam Axler '08, Nicholas Greene '10, Emily Sorg '10 and Max Chaiken '09 know a lot about Nashua.