Fish and chips add to Jo's variety

Kathleen Zafra '08 is tired of the menu at Josiah's. Now a senior, she has been on the full meal plan for four years and has grown bored with the same old food.

Luckily for Zafra, Jo's introduced a new menu item Tuesday evening: fish and chips.

Zafra was happy with the new choice. "I always get either chicken or beef, so I'm excited to have another option," she said.

The new dish, which costs $4.80 and is served at the grill station, consists of two filets, fries, cole slaw and tartar sauce. Because the fish is fried to order, it takes longer to prepare than the other items in the grill line. The added prep time caused a small delay for the first customers ordering the dish.

The addition of fish and chips comes as part of a series of changes to the late-night eatery. A pasta bar was recently added, and a salad bar will be installed in about two weeks, said Sean Debobes, a supervisor at Jo's.

Mathew Coughlin '10 was among the first students to try the fish and chips. "I really enjoyed them," he said. "For what it was and what it cost, I thought it was really filling." He added that his friends are often reluctant to come to Jo's because of its limited selection, and that the fish and chips will add variety.

Cashiers Yi-Fen Li '08 and Nureen Ghuznavi '08 said initial sales seemed strong. Ghuznavi called sales "a lot better than expected," while Li described them as "pretty good," noting that the night was still young.