In opener, w. lacrosse breaks Sacred Heart

With only 1:25 shaved off the clock, attackman Jesse Nunn '09 scored her first of four goals off a free-position shot in what would become a decisive victory for the women's lacrosse team over Sacred Heart University. On Sunday, the Bears defeated the Pioneers with a final score of 17-7 in their 2008 season opener at the Berylson Family Fields at Brown.

Despite inclement weather that postponed the game for a day, the Bears controlled the ball and the tempo of the game from the start. Following Nunn's goal, Brown netted four other goals in the first 10 minutes, giving them a 5-0 lead.

"Jesse has developed a ton since she's been here at Brown," said Head Coach Keely McDonald. "She's a tremendous athlete, and she's improved her overall work ethic on the field."

Lauren Vitkus '09 had her first goal less than a minute after Nunn's and would follow up with three other goals later in the game. Alexa Caldwell '11 earned her first career point with an assist to Nunn for the third goal. She finished with a game-high three assists and an additional goal for the Bears.

After a long draw, Kiki Manners '10 received the ball on defense and wove through the entire Sacred Heart midfield and defense for an unassisted goal only 14 seconds after the Bear's third goal. Kara Kelly '10 finished the five-goal scoring streak for the Bears with yet another goal at 8:23.

"I am thrilled with how strong our team came out. It was an incredible start to our season," Vitkus said. "From the freshman class all the way to the seniors, everyone came out ready to compete."

Sacred Heart, forced to use a timeout after an embarrassing start, followed with its first goal of the game at 10:37. But Brown immediately answered and Mimi DeTolla '08, Meghan Markowski '10 and Nunn each added a goal to give Bruno an 8-1 lead.

Despite the strength at the beginning of the half, Brown's dominance faded for the remaining 13:45,when Sacred Heart out-scored them 3-1 to end the frame. Despite controlling the game for the vast majority of the half, the Bears boasted only a 9-4 lead over the Pioneers.

But Bruno's lull came to an abrupt halt with a four-goal scoring streak to open the second half. Vitkus netted two more goals and Caldwell scored the first of her career. Though Sacred Heart broke the streak with a goal off a free-position shot, Markwoski and Kelly followed with their second goals of the game, giving Brown a 15-5 lead.

With 14:43 to go, play was back and forth, with additional Brown goals by Nunn and Ali Holland '08. Milliseconds after the buzzer, Caldwell fired a final goal that did not count toward the score, but served as additional proof of the Bears dominance.

Though Bears' offense dominated the game, Noelle DiGioia '09, Val Sherry '09 and Tori Conway '11 held the defensive end together. Kelly had four ground balls while Vitkus had four draw controls. Goalie Melissa King '08 kept Pioneer scoring to a minimum with three saves.

The Bears demonstrated a higher level of play and determination to defeat an opponent who last year forced them into overtime. Their play was marked with impressive give-and-go sequences through the midfield that were finished with an impressive number of goals. Staying true to the team's 2008 motto - "Feel the Beat" - as expressed on the sleeve of their warm-up shirts, the Bears fought as an impenetrable unit, moving in tandem with the rhythm of their teammates and coaches.

"We are really looking to build off the momentum of this win," said Justine Lupo '08, one of the game's co-captains. "We're looking forward to North Carolina where we face some tough competitors. I think today was proof that this team is ready to make a statement this season."

The Bears will travel to North Carolina to face the No. 4 Tar Heels on Feb. 28. McDonald said the team is "really looking forward to playing a ranked opponent. The team is really fired up."