Student dressed as commando enters CIT

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Feb. 21 and Feb. 27. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents that occur off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Thursday, Feb. 21:11:19 a.m. An officer was dispatched to speak with a student about two incidents in Andrews Hall. The student stated that on Sunday Feb. 17, she and a friend were in her room talking and the door to the room was ajar. At about midnight, the door was pushed open and a tall male with an athletic build who appeared to be about 20 years old entered her room. When he saw that the room was occupied he stated, "Oh, wrong room," and left.At around 12:30 a.m. on Feb. 20, the student was again in her room. The door was closed but unlocked. There was a knock on the door and she said, "Come in." A male of average build around 20 years old entered. He seemed to be nervous and said he was looking for the Residential Counselor's room. The officer informed the student that she should always keep her room door locked and that she should move the mirror that was blocking the peep hole in the door.

1:04 p.m. An employee reported that her laptop was taken from her office at 70 Ship St. sometime between 11:55 a.m. and 12:10 p.m. She reported that an unknown male was seen leaving the third floor just prior to the time at which she realized that her laptop was gone. The male exited a room connected to the hallway where her office is located. The employee reported that she left her office to speak with the secretary in the hall, near the elevator. She also spoke with another person near the elevator when the unknown male walked by. The male stopped to speak with a student before he left the area. When she went back to her office, she found that her laptop was gone. She had left her office door ajar. Officers checked the building and the surrounding area but the suspect was not located.

Friday, Feb. 22:11:02 a.m. Police units were dispatched to respond to reports that someone in army fatigues wearing a gas mask and carrying a satchel entered the Center for Information Technology. Upon arrival, witnesses stated that the individual went onto the elevator but were unsure where the individual exited. Officers searched all floors of the building and the person was located in a classroom and was found to be a student. The student stated that there was a group getting together at the Sharpe Refectory after class in costume to advertise a haunted house. The dean on call that day was contacted, and the student was told by DPS that the group could not advertise at the Refectory. The matter has been turned over to the Office of Student Life.

Saturday, Feb. 23:11:49 p.m. Officers were dispatched for a report that people were breaking exit signs in Emery Hall. Upon arrival, they noticed a large party on the second floor. Many room doors were propped open and there was a crowd of about 40 people, which the officers began to disperse. One room contained a large amount of alcohol and was occupied by minors. There were signs and boxes set up for collecting money for the alcohol. When questioned about the contents of his room, the room's resident became evasive and would not identify himself. Officers also found a beer pong table and a bong that had a fresh scent of marijuana in plain view on a table. The case has been turned over to Student Life.

Tuesday, Feb. 2611:16 a.m. Students were working at a table in the Post Office selling tickets for an event. The students reported that there was a group of four males sitting outside on the stairs on the south side of the Post Office. Several of the students came into the building a few times, but then went back outside. A short time later, one male held the door open while a second male came in and took a cash box from the ticket table. The males then fled the scene. DPS apprehended two of the suspects. The suspects were positively identified by witnesses and were turned over to PPD for charging.

12:25 p.m. While conducting health and safety inspections, University employees noticed a set of three samurai swords on a desk in an Emery Hall room. The swords were confiscated and transported to DPS for safekeeping.

Wednesday, Feb. 27:3:08 p.m. Officers were dispatched in response to a report by Dining Services employees that they were following an individual they had witnessed shoplift from Josiah's. The suspect was taken into custody by DPS and taken to 75 Charlesfield St. for processing. He was found to be in possession of narcotics and other drug paraphernalia. He was turned over to the PPD for charging.

4:22 p.m. A student stated that while in the lavatory around 1 p.m. in the Sharpe Refectory, he took off his class ring and placed it on the counter while washing his hands. He left without his ring. He returned approximately 10 minutes later to discover that his ring had been taken from the counter.

11:49 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Perkins Hall in response to reports of a suspicious male. The reporting student stated that she noticed a suspicious male walking down the hall on the third floor. She observed the male exit via the south staircase. Officers searched the interior and exterior of the building but the suspect was not located.