Transfer applications slightly down

The Office of Admission received 955 transfer applications for the 2008-09 school year, a figure slightly lower than previous years, said Dean of Admission James Miller '73.

The Office recently finished compiling data on this year's transfer applicant pool after regular decisions were mailed on March 31, he said.

The Office is anticipating the enrollment of slightly more than 100 transfer applicants, Miller wrote in an e-mail to The Herald.

The number of accepted transfer students varies from year to year and depends on a number of factors, he wrote. Because the number of students who can enroll in the undergraduate College each year is fixed, the number of transfers accepted is determined by the size of the incoming freshman class and the number of students leaving for or returning from study abroad programs, he wrote.

Last year, the University received approximately 1,050 applications and accepted 75 students, according to Miller. For the 2006-07 school year, Brown accepted only 45 transfers.

Miller added that the Office of Admission has not noticed any change in the strength or composition of the transfer applicant pool, and that the applicants have come from a variety of schools without any visible geographic or regional trends.

"There really isn't a dominant school in terms of transfer applications. The source and size of transfer pools can vary significantly from year to year," Miller wrote.

Transfer applicants will receive their decisions in mid-May.