Volleyball opens season with a bang, winning record

The volleyball team knows it's stronger this year - it just has to prove that to everyone else. The team did just that in its opening weekend at the Georgetown Classic by taking the first three matches before falling to the host Georgetown in the final game of the tournament. But the team couldn't be happier with its performance and the way the season started for 2008.

"It felt so great to finish the weekend with a winning record," said setter and captain Natalie Meyers '09. "To have a dominant start of the season like this gives us high expectations for the rest of the season."

The team's victories were the results of everyone playing at the top of their game. Both veterans and new players became heroes this weekend. The two seniors, Meyers and Lyndse Yess '09, led the team with strong performances and were named to the All-Tournament Team. In the opening matche against James Madison University, Yess, starting at outside, posted a double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs while Meyers set up 31 assists in addition to three kills. The Bears beat JMU 3-1, taking the first two games 25-18 and 25-21, and droppping the third game before sealing the victory in the fourth, 25-18.

The Bears continued to ride on their winning streak in the next two matches, sweeping Morgan State University on Friday night and St. Francis College the following afternoon. Meyers posted two more standout performances, with 13 and 15 assists in these two matches respectively. But Meyers believes that it was her teammates who made it possible for her to set so well.

"It was a huge team effort," Meyers said. "Everyone took care of her own job and made it very easy for me."

Besides the veterans, the other highlight of the weekend was the stellar performance put on by two freshmen. Laurielle Hofer '12 debuted in the first match against JMU with four kills and a team-high two service aces. Annika Gliottone '12 also impressed as she led the team with 12 digs, two service aces and three assists in the game against Morgan State. In the final two games of the tournament, Gliottone posted two more team-high digs, 11 and 17 respectively. Meyers said the new players' contributions were very important to the team's success.

"You always get nervous at your first game," Meyers said. "But they didn't play like freshmen at all. They did what they've been doing all along and that was crucial."

Although the new players didn't look nervous playing at their first collegiate tournament, they said they were nervous going into it.

"I knew Division I volleyball is intense," Gliottone said. "I was nervous going into it, but I was excited as well. We are a great team, we work well together and it's fun to play."

Having built some confidence in the season opener, the new players are even more excited for the rest of the season. At the same time, they know they still have a lot to learn, and they say they have the perfect examples on the team to look up to.

"Our two senior captains provide us the confidence and reassurance with their performance," Gliottone said. "They talk to us on the court and tell us it's going to be a lot of fun."

The Bears' 3-0 loss to Georgetown was the only blemish this weekend. But the loss didn't dampen the team's spirit; in fact, it made the team more confident about its abilities.

"The loss against Georgetown wasn't disappointing," Meyers said. "We proved that we could hang on to a team like that in a game. It's just unfortunate that we played them now."

Due to the Ivy League scheduling, all Ivy League teams start competing two weeks later than other schools. Georgetown had already played six matches before they hosted the invitational.

"If we had played five or six games before meeting (Georgetown), we might (have been) able to beat them," Meyers said.

The team doesn't wait long before it gets back into action again as it takes on its cross-town rival Providence College tonight at 7 p.m. The Friars have a 6-5 record going into the match. The Bears believe they can take them on despite the fact that the Friars have had a longer season so far as well.

"We think we are the better team," Meyers said. "But we won't underestimate them."

The Bears will host their first home contest this weekend as they play Stony Brook on Friday night at 7 p.m. in the opening match of the Brown Invitational, which also includes Quinnipiac and Bryant.