View Larger Map

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Sept. 1 and Sept. 10. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Tuesday, Sept. 2

12:15 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Benevolent Street to assist Providence Police with a noise complaint. Upon arrival, Providence units stated they had just dispersed approximately 200 people from the residence and surrounding area. Providence Police issued noise complaint summons to three Brown students.

1:12 a.m. An officer was dispatched to meet with Providence Police, who had responded to the location for a complaint of a loud party on Thayer Street. Providence Police issued noise complaint summons to three Brown students.

8:17 a.m. An officer spoke with a student from Everett House who reported that he went to take a shower at 8:02 a.m. and at 8:16 a.m. discovered his room key missing from outside of his shower bag. The student said that he does not know of any suspects that would take his room key.

1:17 p.m. The Department of Public Safety's community relations manager said that on Thursday, Aug. 26, at approximately 11:00 a.m., she was working in the Safewalk office and noticed three Motorola radios missing. She said that she spoke with the Safewalk coordinator; he did not know where the radios were and he confirmed with her that three radios are missing. There was no sign of forced entry.

Wednesday, Sept. 3

7:34 a.m. A Brown employee reported that her motorcycle was found knocked over on its side and damaged in Lot 57. Two pairs of glasses were also taken from the saddle bags. This incident occurred between 11:40 p.m. on Tuesday and 6:35 a.m. on Wednesday.

7:00 p.m. Student reported that he left his blue Cannondale mountain bike locked with a cable lock to the bike rack located on the Olive Street side of Life Sciences Building at approximately 3:00 p.m. When he returned at approximately 6:00 p.m., his bike was missing.

Thursday, Sept. 4

8:14 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Brown Stadium for a report of a group of youths that had gained entry by going under a fence. Upon arrival, they conducted a search of the area and observed six subjects sitting on the roof of the press box. As officers approached, the subjects tried to hide by ducking down out of sight. Officers ordered the subjects to come down off the roof. The subjects were issued trespass citations and escorted out of the stadium.

Friday, Sept. 5

9:58 a.m. An employee reported that a laptop computer and a digital projector were stolen from a locked cabinet in Room 220 in List Art Center. The department computer coordinator reported the equipment missing approximately three weeks ago. He reported that the cabinet was locked, but it appeared that it was tampered with. Upon inspection, it appeared that the door to the cabinet was forced at the top. The cabinet was still locked, but not secure. Room 220 is usually left open. There are no suspects at this time.

5:37 p.m. A student reported that sometime between Wednesday at 9 p.m. and Friday at 5p.m., his vehicle was stolen from a private lot on Waterman Street. Providence Police responded to take the report.

11:27 p.m. Student reported he was walking down Thayer Street and was passed by four large individuals who began to speak with him. The conversation then turned, and as he walked away from them, he flipped them off. A beer can was then thrown and it struck him in the right shoulder. A second beer can was thrown but did not strike him. The victim was not injured and declined medical assistance. He did not wish to file criminal charges.

Saturday, Sept. 6

9:34 p.m. Student stated that at approximately 6:30 p.m., she went to take her prescribed Vicodin pills and found that they were missing. She stated that she last saw her pills on Thursday. There are no suspects at this time.

Monday, Sept. 8

5:54 p.m. An officer was dispatched to the area of 167 George St. for the report of a larceny of a handbag from a vehicle. A Brown student stated that she was unloading groceries from a friend's vehicle that was parked on the sidewalk. She had left her purse on the passenger's front seat. She stated she was in the residence for less than two minutes when the purse was stolen from the vehicle. Providence Police took the report. The Brown officer then checked the area on foot to no avail. The purse was turned in a short time later by a Brown graduate student who found it while walking with colleagues near 187 George St.

Wednesday, Sept. 10

8:12 p.m. An officer was approached by a student regarding graffiti etched into the bathroom mirror on the first floor of Emery Hall. Upon receiving this information, the officer entered the bathroom in question and observed that there were several words etched into the mirror. Most of the words were unrecognizable. Facilities Management was notified and there are no suspects at this time.