Men's rugby trounces BU on Saturday

With one game to go in its regular season, the men's rugby team (4-1-1) has powered through its fall schedule much like it powered through the defensive line of Boston University last Saturday for its third consecutive win. The Bears came away with a 43-14 win, dominating the possession count and scoring three consecutive tries in the second half.

"We felt we were prepared enough," said co-captain Brendan Warner '09. "We had a lot more control of the ball."

BU scored once at 12 minutes in the first half, but could not hold onto a possession long enough to score after that, thanks to a mauling Bruno defense, until the 35-minute mark of the second half.

"They haven't won a game, so we came out pretty hard," said prop Han Hui Ling '09.

Sam Rabb '10 converted three penalty kicks for Bruno, scoring with only five minutes into the game. The first try was scored soon after by Chaney Harrison '11, who then had several runs to up the second try, which was scored by Hao Li '10 at 15 minutes of the first half. Rabb scored the last try of the half as well as another on a penalty kick to put the Bears up 26-7.

"All our forwards absolutely controlled them in scrums and lineouts," Warner said.

One of the biggest highlights of the second half was a 50-yard try-scoring run by Li to put the Terriers further in the hole. Just four minutes later, flanker Gabe Heidrich '10 ran up the middle to give Bruno a 38-7 lead. Scrum-half Dave Riley '10 scored Brown's last try, which started from a five-meter scrum.

"We really focused on keeping our pattern this game," Ling said. "We wanted to keep control of the possessions and have less penalties."

Brown easily accomplished these goals: With rugby's make-it-take-it rule, the Bears were able to use up the clock with multiple tries on lengthy drives.

After beating former national champion Coast Guard a few weeks ago, Brown is confident of playing well enough in the upcoming fall playoffs to qualify for the championships in the spring season. Last year, the team took third in Ivies.

"Since last season, we've really buckled down and focused and decided we wanted to win," Warner said.

The Bears take on URI this Saturday at 1 p.m. at Marvel Field in what could possibly be their last home game for the season. According to Coach Jay Fluck '65, if they win this weekend, they will secure a spot in the Collegiate Division II Championships next spring.

"They're a big team, but if we stick to it and bring our intensity and aggressiveness, we'll win," Warner said.