View Larger MapThe following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Sept. 24 and Oct. 1. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, Sept. 267:10 a.m. An officer was dispatched to the Brown Office Building regarding homeless persons sleeping on the ground a short distance from the front door. The subjects were advised that they were trespassing on Brown University property and were give trespass citations. They were referred to Crossroads homeless shelter.

9:35 p.m. While conducting an exterior check of the Sarah Doyle Women's Center an officer noticed that one of the window panes in a first floor window was broken. Facilities Management was notified of the broken window and a work order was placed. There are no suspects at this time.

Saturday, Sept. 2712:01 a.m. An officer reported that he observed a male possibly throw something onto the property of 55 Power Street. The individual, who is known to both Brown University Police and Providence Police, was detained and questioned. The male was compliant and stated he has been in trouble with the law before. No contraband or weapons were in his possession and the area was searched but nothing was found. The subject was released at the scene.

12:54 a.m. While investigating the cause of a fire alarm at Buxton House, an officer observed smoke coming from a room. Upon entering the open room officers observed an ashtray in plain view with what appeared to be the remnants of marijuana cigarettes in it. They also smelled a faint odor of marijuana. Additionally, there were two glass bottles of alcohol on a table. As the building was cleared for entry by the Providence Fire Department, two students returned to the room. They admitted that they had been in the room smoking and didn't realize they had set off the smoke detector. They were reminded that marijuana is illegal, that the drinking age is 21, and that smoking and glass bottles are not allowed in dorms. They were informed that a report would be filed for disciplinary action and the officers confiscated both the suspected marijuana and liquor. The matter has been turned over to the Office of Student Life.

12:52 a.m. A student stated that she had placed her wallet on a couch at a party in Sears House. In the wallet were her cell phone, Brown ID and a debit card. She also reported that the wallet was attached to her keys. She was away from the wallet from approximately 11:30 p.m. until midnight. When she returned to the couch the wallet and its contents were missing. The keys to which the wallet had been attached were still there. There are no suspects at this time.

Sunday, Sept. 281:09 a.m. Officers were dispatched to Young Orchard #2 for a disturbance between two roommates. The matter is being investigated by the Department of Public Safety and has also been turned over to the Office of Student Life.

4:00 p.m. A student stated that on Sept. 25 at approximately 1:30 p.m., her dorm room in Chapin House was secured and locked as she left for the weekend. Her roommate left on Sept. 26. The reporting party returned on Sept. 28 at approximately 4 p.m. to discover a damaged dorm room door. The damage appeared to have been an attempt to gain entry. There was no entry gained into the dorm room, and nothing was missing. There were pry marks on the wooden door, door lock-mechanism, and door frame. Facilities Management was notified. There are no suspects at this time.

Monday, Sept. 295:09 p.m. Two Brown students stated that they had left their dorm room in Caswell Hall at noon and returned at 5 p.m. They stated that the door to the dorm room was not locked. A laptop that was locked to a desk was taken. The cable that it was fastened with had been broken. Another laptop that was not secured was stolen as well as an iPod. There are no witnesses or suspects at this time.

Tuesday, Sept. 309:05 a.m. The Coordinator of Special Projects for Dining Services stated that at about 10 a.m. on Sept. 29, the Food Manager for Dining Services informed him that there were three signs missing from outside Room 129 in the Sharpe Refectory. Later, a supervisor for Dining Services informed the coordinator that she noticed the signs missing at about 6:30 a.m. on Sept. 29. One brass sign is missing from the door to the Chancellor's Dining Room. The other two are made of a plastic composite and are missing from the wall to the east of Room 129.

2:21 p.m. A Brown student reported that she placed her laptop computer on a chair in her room in Morriss Hall on Sept. 28 at 1 p.m. When she went to look for her computer on Sept. 30 at 1 p.m., she noticed that it was missing. She reported that she did not use her computer during the above times mentioned. She also stated that her room door was unlocked at different times. No sign of forced entry or damage found. The laptop has LoJack theft recovery software.

Wednesday, Oct. 14:43 a.m. Complainant stated that she left her vehicle at 8:30 a.m. in Lot 2. When she returned at 5 p.m., she discovered that the vehicle had been vandalized and a GPS had been stolen. There are no witnesses or suspects.