Bone marrow donor registration begins today

The University's two-day Bone Marrow Registration Drive begins today and runs until tomorrow, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Sayles Hall, without a needle in sight.

Unlike the semi-annual Blood Drive organized by Rhode Island Blood Center, the faint of heart can avoid needles and blood. The drive registers people to potentially save the lives of patients battling conditions like leukemia, lymphoma and other blood disorders in search of a marrow or peripheral stem cell donation, just as easily as their courageous counterparts.

The Bone Marrow Registration Drive's student co-coordinator, Adam Vasconcellos '07 MD'11, said there are common misconceptions about registering as a blood marrow donor.

Vasconcellos says that there is "no need to roll up your sleeve when you walk into Sayles Hall" to be placed on the registry. The process should take no more than 20 minutes.

Participants between the ages of 18 and 60 are asked to complete a medical history form, followed by a quick, painless cheek swab to identify one's tissue typing, which determines potential donor matches for patients in need.

If a match is found, according to the National Marrow Donor Program, physicians usually request the donation of peripheral blood stem cells, which is non-surgical and similar to giving blood. While the registry is non-binding, meaning that donors can deny giving peripheral stem cells or marrow, Vasconcellos says, "It's the easiest way to save a life."

Six thousand people are searching for a bone marrow match, Vasconcellos said, adding that Brown's diverse student body is crucial for the registry.

Snacks and prizes - like gift certificates to Starbucks and Trinity Brewhouse - will also be provided.