View Larger Map
The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Oct. 16 and Oct. 22. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, Oct. 16

3:02 p.m. An officer was dispatched to meet with a dean regarding a health and safety inspection in Young Orchard #4. The dean stated that while conducting a check of the room she observed a glass pipe with marijuana in it. Also in plain view, the officer observed what appeared to be a quantity of a greenish or brownish substance in a clear bag which he believed to be marijuana. The pipe and the marijuana were seized by DPS. The pipe and the substance were taken back to department headquarters, where a field test was conducted using a narcotics analysis kit. The test showed positive for marijuana. The matter is being handled by Student Life.

Saturday, Oct. 18

12:06 a.m. Student stated that her car had been broken into in Lot 75 and that the driver's side-door control panel for the power windows, locks and mirrors had been taken, along with her anti-theft device.

Sunday, Oct. 19

1:14 a.m. A manager at Josiah's observed an individual sticking his hands into a pan of french fries and eating them. The pan of french fries was then thrown away. The student was warned about his behavior by the manager. Approximately five minutes later the manager observed the same student eating french fries out of the pan again and drinking a Vitamin Water. The manager informed the student that he had to pay for the items he ate and drank. The student stated that he did not have his ID and did not have any money to pay for the items. The manager told officers he did not wish to press charges but would like Josiah's to be compensated for the loss. The matter has been turned over to Student Life.

8:24 a.m. A student in Diman House reported that she had gone to bed at approximately 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 18, and when she woke up at about 7:45 a.m., she noticed that her laptop computer had been taken from her desk. The door to the room was left unlocked.

2:02 p.m. A student in Jameson House stated he brought a speaker to his friend's room to listen to some music. He left the speaker in a closet for about a week. When he contacted his friend about retrieving the speaker, she was unable to find it.

9:45 p.m. DPS officers assisted Providence Police on Bowen Street, where a student reported that someone had smashed the passenger's side window of his vehicle and stole his GPS. Providence Police responded and took the report.

Monday, Oct. 20

8:36 p.m. Student complainant stated that on Oct. 19 at approximately 4 p.m., he was playing basketball at the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center. He had left a sweatshirt, cell phone, money clip with $5 and a Brown ID card at the end of the basketball court. When he returned to his belongings at approximately 6 p.m., he found that his money clip was missing. The sweatshirt and cell phone were untouched.

Tuesday, Oct. 21

7:36 a.m. A student was found sleeping on the roof of the Sciences Library. He stated that he had been sleeping there lately because he spent many hours working on a project and that it was easier than going home. He was escorted off the roof. The matter has been turned over to Student Life.

4:36 p.m. A student at the Center for Information Technology stated that on Oct. 20, she took her laptop and the recovery disks to the Help Desk. She stated that at 3 p.m. she placed her items on the counter while her computer was being checked out by a technician. She returned to the counter at 5 p.m. and noticed that her recovery disks had been taken. It is possible that another customer may have accidentally taken them. The case is under investigation.

Wednesday, Oct. 22

10:07 p.m. A University employee at the corner of Charlesfield and Brown streets reported a satellite radio stolen from his vehicle. Providence Police responded and took a report.

11:08 p.m. An employee of Sterling Security, while on duty, observed a suspicious male who was looking around and carrying bolt cutters at his side. He followed the suspect and called dispatch. The suspect, who was hiding behind 68 ½ Brown Street, was found in possession of bolt cutters and subsequently had three warrants, was arrested by Brown Police. He was turned over to Providence Police for charging.