Benjy Asher '10: What to watch for in the NBA

As the NBA season gets under way, several of last year's cellar-dwelling teams have an opportunity to make it to the postseason, and some mid-level teams may even emerge as serious contenders for the title. Let me give you a look at less-than-obvious teams to keep an eye on.

Memphis Grizzlies

Coming off of back-to-back seasons going 22-60, things can only get better for the Grizzlies, especially with some of their new personnel. Last year, Rudy Gay established himself as a dangerous weapon, putting up 20 points and six rebounds per game, doing damage both from behind the three-point line, where he averaged 1.7 three-pointers per game, and with his penetration game. He was also effective on the defensive end, where he averaged 1.4 steals per game.

This year, Gay will be joined by rookie point guard O.J. Mayo, who last season averaged 20.7 points per game as a freshman at USC. Mayo gives the Grizzlies another offensive weapon on the perimeter, and the duo of Gay and Mayo will be complemented by a front court that includes Hakim Warrick and rookie center Marc Gasol. Gasol got off to a good start with a double-double in his NBA debut, and will provide a strong presence in the post for Memphis on both ends of the court.

In order to win, the Grizzlies simply have to convince O.J. Mayo that he's no Kobe Bryant, at least not yet. In their season-opening loss to Houston, Mayo connected on just 5-of-20 field goal attempts, including misses on all seven of his shots from three-point range. He settled down in their win over Orlando, going 5-for-11 to finish with 17 points, and that's exactly what Memphis will need from Mayo: a more restrained, and less selfish style of play than he has been accustomed to at the high school and college levels. In the NBA, Mayo cannot simply expect to take over a game on a nightly basis.

Charlotte Bobcats

In their first four seasons, the Bobcats have certainly looked the part of an expansion team. Last year, Charlotte won just 32 games, but this season, with the return of forwards Adam Morrison and Sean May, who both missed all of last season with injuries, the Bobcats have the potential to become one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league. Morrison brings a versatile game to the court to complement the scoring abilities of Gerald Wallace and Jason Richardson, and May will provide an additional offensive presence in the post alongside center Emeka Okafor. Though Morrison and May have had limited minutes and impact in the first two games of the season, when both player are at full strength, they will give Charlotte a wide range of options on every possession.

The team also has two solid point guards to run the offense, with Raymond Felton and his backup, D.J. Augustin, the rookie of out of the University of Texas who has averaged 8.0 points and 3.5 assists per game off the bench thus far.

In every season in franchise history, the Bobcats have struggled defensively, allowing over 100 points per game. Throughout his collegiate and professional careers, Morrison has been a question mark on the defensive end, and returning from a torn ACL, he becomes an even greater liability.

The Bobcats must find a way to contain opposing offenses, but with Head Coach Larry Brown at the helm, the defense looks strong, having allowed only 91.5 points per game through the season's first two contests.

Portland Trail Blazers

In the 2007-08 the Blazers had a decent year, finishing with a 41-41 record, but this season they will be ready to contend for the title, even against the wealth of talent in the Western Conference. After missing last season due to injury, center Greg Oden, the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft, will be a force for the Blazers. Though he is currently on the injured list, he is expected to return in a few weeks. If his 9.6 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per game in his one year of college ball are any indication, he will give the Blazers a dominant defensive presence in the post.

Portland has also thrown Rudy Fernandez of Spain into the mix. Fernandez, the number 24 pick in the 2007 draft, has averaged 14 points through his first three NBA games, and just might turn out to be the biggest steal since Manu Ginobili or Air Bud. These two rookies will fill out a roster headlined by third-year stars LeMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy, and Portland should be able to compete with anyone in the NBA.

New York Knicks

I'm skeptical on this one, but with Isaiah Thomas gone and Stephon Marbury virtually out of the picture, the Knicks may have a shot to return to their former glory. The Knicks made a very smart offseason move in their acquisition of guard Chris Duhon.

Duhon, though not a prolific scorer, knows how to distribute the ball and play defense - things the Knicks have lacked with flashier backcourt players like Marbury and Steve Francis over the years. They also made a major move in signing Head Coach Mike D'Antoni.

D'Antoni knows how to win, and has not been afraid to bench players due to lack of work ethic, in the case of Eddy Curry, or selfishness, in Marbury's case.

Hopefully, this increased intensity will carry over to offensive weapons like Quentin Richardson and Zach Randolph, who have been seen as defensive liabilities over the years.

The Knicks have struggled so far, allowing an average of 108.3 points over the first three games. But with outstanding potential on the offensive end and a coach with a tough-minded defensive mentality, the Knicks just may be on the path back to being the team that I fell in love with in 1994, in the glory days of Starks, Ewing, and Oakley.

Benjy Asher '10 thinks Whoopi Goldberg should coach the Knicks.