Runners take winter in stride

Several winter sports teams kicked off their competition seasons over winter break. Here's a look at how they fared:

Men's Track and Field

Competing for the first time since Dec. 6, the men's track and field team saw strong individual performances at the URI Sorlein Invitational on Jan. 17, where they finished seventh out of 13 competing teams.

With the top eight finishers in each event earning points for the team, Matt Jasmin '09 was the top scorer, as he blazed to a first-place finish in a time of 7.69 seconds in the 55-meter hurdles. Marc Howland '11 ran a time of 6.52 for a fourth-place finish in the 55-meter dash, just a tenth of a second behind the winner. In the 1,000-meter run, Anthony Schurz '12 and Sean O'Brien '09 finished in scoring position, in seventh and eighth place respectively, with Schurz running 2:33.93 and O'Brien clocking in at 2:34.27.

The throwers contributed as well, as Tyler Prince '09 earned sixth place in the weight throw with a toss of 47 feet, 10 inches, and Bryan Powlen '10 launched a throw of 50 feet, 11 inches for second place in the shot put. Jordan Maddocks '11 finished seventh in the high jump, with a jump of 6 feet, 6.25 inches.

Women's Track and Field

The Sorlein Invitational saw three members of the women's track and field team take first-place, with several other high finishers on the squad. Nicole Burns '09 won the 500-meter run with a time of 1:15.28, and Lucy Higgins '11 wasn't far behind, running a time of 1:18.24 to finish third.

Caroline Scanlan '11 finished eighth in 1:20.53. Samantha Adelberg '11 cruised to a victory in the 1,000-meter run in 2:56.06, winning by a margin of over three seconds, while Emily Mepham '12, Kesley Ramsey '11 and Galia Deitz '12 finished in third, fifth and sixth, respectively.

Susan Scavone '12 also had a strong day on the track, finishing fourth in both the 55-meter hurdles and the 200-meter dash. Thelma Breezeatl '10 ran a 59.72 to earn second place in the 400-meter dash.

Equally impressive for Brown were the field athletes. Rachel Biblo '11 jumped 17 feet, 3.5 inches to finish second in the long jump, and followed up with a second-place finish in the triple jump, with a distance of 36 feet, 8.5 inches. In the shot put, Brynn Smith '11 and Danielle Grunloh '10 turned in a one-two finish, with throws of 44-08.25 and 44-05.5, respectively. In addition, Smith finished second in the weight throw, while Molly Hawksley '09 finished sixth, and Grace Watson '11 jumped 5 feet, 1.75 inches for third place in the high jump.

Men's Swimming and Diving

On Jan. 3, the men's swimming and diving team competed at the Florida Atlantic University Invitational, where Brown finished third out of four teams. Ryan Kikuchi '11 had an outstanding day, with a first-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke in a time of 51.90, a second-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke in 1:52.26 and another second-place finish in the 200-yard individual medley, with a time of 1:55.19. Kikuchi was also a part of the 200-yard medley relay team - along with Conor Carlucci '11, Rich Alexander '09 and Ben Zlotoff '09 - which earned a third-place finish.

Carlucci had a strong day in the pool for Brown, finishing fourth in the 100 breast, third in the 200 breast, and seventh in the 200 IM. Also performing well for Brown were J.D. Pinto '10, who turned in fifth-place finishes in the 100 back and 100 fly, and Tucker Wetmore '10, who finished seventh in the 200 free and fourth in the 100 free.

In the one-meter diving event, C.J. Kambe '10 finished second, and Jonathan Feldman '12 finished fourth.

The meet also functioned as a dual meet with Penn, which was the top overall finisher at the invitational and winner of the meet.

Women's Swimming and Diving

The women's effort at the FAU Invitational was led by Allyson Schumacher '12, who took home two individual titles. Schumacher won both the 500 free and the 1,000 free, while Ainsley McFadgen '09 took second place in both events. Schumacher also finished second in the 200 free, just .15 seconds out of first place, and finished third in the 100 free.

Natascha Mangan '11 swam to a first-place finish in the 200 fly and a second-place finish in the 100 fly, and Kelley Wisinger '11 contributed as well, earning third place in the 200 back and fifth in the 200 IM. Bailey Langner '10 took second in the 200 IM, adding to her sixth place finish in the 200 breast.

The team finished in third place out of six teams overall while earning the victory over Penn.

Wrestling

In early January, the wrestling team traveled to Arlington, Tex., for a series of dual meets. Brown went 2-1, notching wins over Air Force and Appalachian State, while falling to Virginia Tech. The Bears were unable to keep the momentum going, dropping two consecutive dual meets at home, 21-12 to Rutgers on Jan. 9 and 20-12 to Bucknell on Jan. 17.

The loss to Rutgers included individual wins for Greg Einfrank '10, wrestling at 125 pounds, Eli Harris '09, at 133, Matt Gevelinger '09, at 184 and Zach Zdrada '09, at 285.

Against Bucknell, Steve DeLorenzo '10 wrestled to a convincing 11-4 win at 141, followed by an 8-7 victory for Bryan Tracy '10 at 157. Branden Stearns '09 won his match, 4-2, at 197, while Zdrada had another solid day on the mat, with a 10-3 victory at 285.