W. water polo prevails over rival Harvard

The women's water polo team (18-12) battled rival Harvard again on Saturday afternoon and pulled out a close victory, winning by one goal, 7-6.

Sarah Glick '10 led the team with three goals, while Lauren Presant '10 followed with two. Joanna Wohlmuth '11 and Rita Bullwinkel '11 each added a goal. Wohlmuth led the defensive effort with three steals, while Glick and Presant added two steals apiece.

It was the Bears' second win over the Crimson this season, having defeated them 11-10 on
April 4.

"We would have rather it not been so close," said Wohlmuth, who is a Herald Metro editor. "We had a similar thing happen last game, when we went up and then allowed them to get back in the game."

Glick tallied Brown's first goal just 45 seconds into the game and added her second goal with 3:49 left in first quarter. Bullwinkel also had a goal in the first quarter to give Brown a 3-1 lead heading into the second period.

The Bears' scoring streak continued in the second quarter with goals by Presant and Glick to increase their lead to 5-1.

"We got off to a 5-1 lead but Harvard is a good team and I knew they weren't going to make things easy for us," said Head Coach Felix Mercado.

Harvard came right back in the third quarter, scoring two goals and keeping Brown at bay, cutting Bruno's lead to 5-4. Harvard had many attempts to tie it up, but fell short, as one shot hit the post and Glick came up with a steal on another attempt.

Wohlmuth put one in the back of the net to start the final quarter, but Harvard, down by two, came back and tied it up, 6-6.

Presant wouldn't let Harvard take the lead, scoring the game-winning goal with 1:55 left.
Despite the close finish, "I never thought we were going to lose the game," Mercado said.

The Bears' defense, led by goalie Stephanie Laing '10, who had 10 saves, and Katherine Stanton '11, came up big to capture the 7-6 win for Brown.

"Harvard called a timeout after we went up and a Brown player was ejected, so we were in a man- down defense. Harvard actually got the ball to their post player, but Kat (Stanton) made a steal," Wohlmuth said. "It was a bit of a scary moment, but luckily Kat was on top of it."

"We are playing them again next weekend at Northerns and we will have another opportunity to have things go smoother," Wohlmuth said.

Mercado added, "It is hard to beat a team three times, but I think we will prepare the same way we did and we are having a team meeting to get the girls focused. They are very hungry and have a point to prove to Harvard that the first two wins weren't a fluke."