It won't take you one hundred days and one hundred nights to know that Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings is the real deal.  These grooving gurus run at the forefront of a movement to revive the funk and soul styles of the late sixties and early seventies — a time widely referred to as the genre's golden age.  This group records in analog and relies mostly on instruments that existed prior to the early seventies, a technical decision that perfectly complements their overpowering soul — the strongest blast from the past.           

Anyone who likes Amy Winehouse's retro sound but who craves a dose of authenticity (and could do without the dysfunction) can find auditory salvation in Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings.  A former Riker's Island corrections officer, leading lady Jones kicks the feel into shape with wailing choruses, holding back at the right moments and finding a way to fit every phrase into the pocket.

If you only listen to one song before Spring Weekend, "One Hundred Days, One Hundred Nights" is an absolute must. Jones grew up in Brooklyn, but her roots are in Georgia.  Some of her songs with the Dap-Kings, especially "One Hundred Days, One Hundred Nights," are particularly reminiscent of Ray Charles, Mr. Georgia himself.  In Charles' "I Got A Woman," the line "She gives me money," has the exact same melody that Jones sings for "One hundred days."            

The album One Hundred Days, One Hundred Nights is definitely the crown jewel of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings' discography, but their two earlier albums are worth checking out as well. 2005's Naturally, their second most recent album, is (naturally) a testament to the group's mastery of complex rhythms and overarching soul-feel.          

Dap Dippin' With Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings from 2002 has a raw, live sound that includes dialogue, jokes, and an impromptu feel which bodes well for Friday night's concert.  "The Dap Dip" begins with a band-member exclaiming, "Every man, woman, and child is catching it, and it's spreading from town to town.  It's called the Dap Dip, and they say you get it in your pants," to which Jones responds, "Oh hell Binky, that ain't no epidemic.  That's a brand new dance!"