Field hockey drops Ivy opener lacking rhythm

The field hockey team lost its Ivy League opener to Columbia, 2-0, on Saturday in New York. Catherine Campbell scored twice on penalty corners, and the Lions (2-2, 1-0 Ivy) outshot the Bears by a 22-3 margin to drop Bruno to 2-3 on the season.

"There was a definite disconnect between our lines," said tri-captain Michaela Seigo '10. "It wasn't a lack of effort, but we definitely just didn't ever get into a rhythm offensively."

In a quiet first half, Columbia outshot Brown by just 5-1 and the teams were even at four corners apiece, but it was the Lions who converted on one of them. Campbell gave the home team the lead 12:02 into the game, with assists by Katie DeSandis and Caitlin Mullins. The Lions' success on the set play foiled the Bears' early intensity.

"We were very energetic and we came out hard," Seigo said.

Campbell doubled Columbia's lead 7:21 after halftime on yet another penalty corner, getting assists from Christine Buszczak and Mullins. Seigo said breaking down only on corners frustrated the Bears.

"I thought that was especially tough because corners are something that we can control," she said. "If we hadn't given up those corners they wouldn't have scored. I think that's definitely something that we're going to be working on at practice this week."

The Lions controlled the second-half action, rolling to advantages of 17-2 in shots and 11-1 in corners, but could not build on the 2-0 lead, stymied by Bruno's defense and goalie.

Though Columbia tallied 22 shots, only six of those reached the cage, while 10 were blocked. Caroline Washburn '12 stopped a penalty stroke midway through the second half for one of her four saves.

The Bears will look to bounce back with a pair of home games this week. Brown will host Sacred Heart (1-7) on Wednesday at 4 p.m. and Dartmouth (1-4, 0-1) on Saturday at 12 p.m. on Warner Roof.

"We're going to watch video and see exactly what went wrong against Columbia, and we'll try to fix that," Seigo said. "I know we'll be working a lot on our circle defense and just (trying) to connect better between our lines."