With road shutout, women's soccer scores first win

The women's soccer team earned its first victory of the season on a road trip to Maryland, shutting out Towson University, 2-0, on Sunday after falling to the No. 18 Maryland Terrapins, 3-1, on Friday. Gina Walker '11, Kate Scott '11 and Melissa Kim '10 scored for the Bears, who improved to 1-4-0 on the young season.

In the opener, the Bears traveled to College Park to face an undefeated Maryland squad. Molly Dreska put the Terps on the board in the 29th minute, and then doubled the lead early in the second half with an assist from Jasmyne Spencer.

Brown sliced the deficit in half in the 52nd minute on a free kick. Sylvia Stone '11 booted the ball to Diana Ohrt '13, who found Walker for the latter's first career goal.

Spencer scored in the 85th minute to produce the 3-1 final score. Brenna Hogue '10 made seven saves for Brown.

Two days later, the Bears matched their season output — achieved over four games —  with two goals in the blanking of Towson.  After the Tigers could not take advantage of a 10-6 first-half lead in shots, Scott headed in Stone's corner kick in the 52nd minute to give Bruno all the offense it would need.

Kim tacked on an insurance goal in the 76th minute, as Ohrt picked up her second assist of the weekend. Steffi Yellin '10 made four saves to earn her eighth career shutout.

The Bears will shoot for their second win Thursday against Army at 7:00 p.m. on Stevenson Field.

— Sports Staff Reports