Equestrian gallops to third place finish at URI

The equestrian team started its season with a solid performance the University of Rhode Island last Sunday. The Bears finished third overall, anchored by Liz Giliberti '10.
Giliberti, who had a very strong junior season, got off on the right foot, taking first place in the Open Flat division and third in the Open Fences. The point rider in both events, she grabbed 11 total points for Brown. 

Rachel Griffith '10 followed in the Intermediate Fences, taking fifth. In the final jumping division, Novice Fences, Allison Dungey '13 placed second as the point rider.

In the Flats division, three different Bears took first, though only two were pointed. Giliberti started with the Open division, taking first. In the Intermediate Flat, Dakota Gruener '11 followed Giliberti's performance with another blue ribbon. Rebecca McGoldrick '12, the other pointed rider, took first in the Novice division, scoring the full seven points for the Bears. Lindsay Wong '13 also turned in a solid ride in the Intermediate Flats, though the judges seemed to be looking elsewhere, and she did not place. 

"Sometimes (the judges) miss a good ride," McGoldrick said. 

Brown ended the afternoon with two more first-place rides. Kona Shen '10 took first in Beginner Walk-Trot-Canter and Kelsey MacMillan '12 won in the Walk-Trot division. 
The Bears ended with a tally of 34 points, five behind first-place host URI and two points shy of the University of Connecticut. The Bears will host the next competition on Sunday.