Men's water polo splits weekend

While much of the student body relaxed over the long weekend, the men's water polo team traveled to Massachusetts to face Harvard and Iona. After a 15-8 win against Harvard on Saturday, the team fell to Iona the following day, 10-9.

Against the Crimson, the Bears had complete control in the water from the beginning of the game, leading 3-2 after eight minutes. The second quarter was just as successful, as Bruno took a 9-2 lead. Harvard scored three goals to Brown's two in the third quarter, but the Bears picked it up again to outscore Harvard, 4-3, in the final quarter to seal the 15-8 win.

On the offensive end, Svetozar Stefanovic '13 lived up to his recent title as CWPA Northern Division Rookie of the Week by leading the team with five goals on Saturday. Gordon Hood '11 added three goals, Ryan Gladych '13 scored two, while Zach Levko '10, Corey Schwartz '11, Dean Serure '13 and Cyrus Mojdehi '13 each contributed one. Defensively, Kent Holland '10 kept up his impressive stats in goal with seven saves in the first three quarters, and Max Lubin '12 saved three after taking over for Holland in the final quarter.

After the impressive win over the rival Crimson, the Bears lost to the Iona Gaels, 10-9, in a close game on Sunday. Brown had an impressive lead through most of the game, including a five-goal lead in the beginning of the third quarter. But the Gaels were not fazed, as they rallied to a narrow 10-9 victory in the fourth. The game-winning goal for Iona was scored during a penalty shot with just four seconds left on the clock, costing Bruno its first regular season Northern Division loss in two years. Stefanovic was again the team's leading scorer with three goals. Gladych and Hood each scored two, while Serure and Schwartz each scored one.

Even with this loss hanging over their heads, the Bears were still able to defeat Connecticut College, 22-8, on Tuesday. Bruno will travel back to Connecticut College to face Queens (N.Y.) and Mercyhurst on Saturday.