From an erratic fall, w. golf aims for a rebound

The women's golf team returns to the course this month after an inconsistent fall, and captain Susan Restrepo '11 said she hopes to lead the team to a top-three finish among the Ivies this year.

"We are a young team, and I think that we are starting to achieve goals," Restrepo said. "As a team, we really started rebuilding my freshman year, and we're finally to the point where we feel good about our ability to come in first at a tournament."

Last year, the Bears earned a sixth-place finish at the Ivy League Championship and were the youngest team at the tournament. The Bears return their entire roster this year and add one more, Claire Straty '13.

"Claire is a great teammate," Restrepo said. "She's fun to be around, and she has added energy and optimism to our team dynamic."

"There are different strengths on the team," Straty said. "It provides a healthy amount of competition among us because you can only take five."

In the fall, Brown finished in third place at the first tournament of the year, and then placed fifth, 12th, third and second in their remaining tournaments.

"Well, we kicked Dartmouth's ass in the fall," Restrepo said. "So traditionally, they are our biggest rivals."

The Bears are aiming for more consistency this spring and are remaining positive each day of competition.

"We had an OK fall," said Heather Arison '12. "I definitely think we had some good rounds and not-so-good rounds. We are definitely trying to improve on our scores and tournament standings."

"We really focused on the short game (in the fall) because in college golf, that is where the tournaments are won," Straty said. "Right now, we are really working on our mental game. We are doing a lot of fitness as well. Core and strength training will hopefully give us an edge."

"We are definitely better," said Carly Arison '12. "Every year is different. The competition always gets better."

The young team opens the spring schedule March 14 at the Texas State Invitational.
"I think that we have come a long way in two and a half years," Restrepo said. "I think that it's exciting. We look forward to our first tournament in Texas in two weeks."