Sports

Riders expect to sit among nation’s elite

Sports Staff Writer
Thursday, March 4, 2010

The equestrian team will look to maintain its position atop the season standings during their spring campaign. In November, Brown finished the fall season with a 20-point advantage over the University of Rhode Island, 177-157. The Bears opened the second half of the season with a show at Wesleyan University on Feb. 13, after a winter of training and preparation.

“The team participates in a team trip down to Florida to keep in shape over winter break,” wrote Karolina Woroniecka ’13 in an e-mail to The Herald. “This year, we flew down to West Palm Beach for about a week and rode every day at a stable and were able to learn from professional coaches.”

At Wesleyan, the team finished in second place with 30 points, falling to its chief rival, URI, which finished with 38 points. Brown excelled in open fences, with Rachel Griffith ’10 and Liz Giliberti ’10 taking first in the second and third classes, respectively.

Woroniecka said Brown’s main competitors for the title throughout the spring shows will be URI and the University of Connecticut, which is currently third in the standings.

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.