W. Golf putts to 12th place in invitational

In a weather-shortened Hoya Women's Invitational, hosted by Georgetown University, the women's golf team finished 12th out of 17 teams.

The event, held March 29 and 30 at the Members Club at Four Streams outside Washington, D.C., was originally scheduled as a 54-hole tournament. However, due to extremely wet conditions the first morning, the host club decided to shorten the first day from 36 to 18 holes in order to help dry the course. This shortened the whole event to 36 holes, with 18 holes of competition each day.

The Bears posted scores of 337 and 334, with Heather Arison '12 leading the way both days for Brown. Arison played consistently, shooting 83-83 — 166 on her way to tie for 43rd place in the 90-player field. Just behind Arison was Megan Tuohy '12 at 168, closely followed by Julia Robinson '11 and Susan Restrepo '11 at 169. Carly Arison '12 rounded out the Bears' top five, shooting a two-day total of 176.

Tuohy called the tournament a "good learning experience," noting that "everyone stayed in the tournament and had a good attitude" despite the tough playing conditions.

Head Coach Danielle Griffiths was especially pleased with the Bears' play on Tuesday, noting that the Bears were the "only team to improve on the second day." Looking forward, Griffiths stressed that her team will be "working hard on (its) short game and mental game" in preparation for its next tournament, the Columbia Invitational, and ultimately the Ivy League Championships in late April.