W. water polo leaves California with six wins, six losses

Correction appended.

No. 20 Brown headed to California for spring break and went 6-6 in 12 games. Highlights included an upset victory over No. 19 Cal State at Bakersfield and a 7-6 overtime win against Cal State at San Bernadino on the final day of competition.

The offense was led by stellar performances from tri-captains Sarah Glick '10 and Lauren Presant '10, as well as Herald Senior Editor Joanna Wohlmuth '11 and Brittany Westerman '13. Tri-captain Stephanie Laing '10 had an impressive week, leading the defense in goal.

Laing received Northern Division Defensive Player of the Week honors, Glick and Presant were named Co-Players of the Week and Westerman was the Rookie of the Week.

LMU 11, Brown 7
In their first game of the week, Brown fell to No. 7 Loyola Marymount University, 11-7. The score was 6-4 after the second quarter, but the Bears weren't able to come back in the second half. Presant led Brown with three goals, and Laing had 13 saves.

Brown 12, Fresno Pacific 4

After losing their first game, the Bears rallied to beat Fresno Pacific on March 27. Tied after the first quarter, 3-3, Brown held Fresno Pacific to only one goal in the remaining three quarters. Glick and Wohlmuth both scored three goals, and Laing had 11 saves.

Brown 8, Sonoma State 4

Brown kept the momentum going to win another game that same day against Sonoma State. Again tied after the first quarter, 1-1, Brown outscored Sonoma State, 7-3, in the remaining quarters. Glick had four goals, and Claudia Ruiz '13 had her first goal of the series.

Brown 9, Cal State at Bakersfield 7
Brown's third win came on Sunday with an upset of No. 19 Cal State at Bakersfield. Brown jumped out to a 3-0 lead during the first quarter.

"We started the game on a 4-0 run and never looked back," said Head Coach Felix Mercado.

Presant had four goals, and Laing had 10 saves.

UC at Davis 10, Brown 6
After the exciting win against Cal State, Brown fell to No. 18 UC at Davis, 10-6. Tied after the first quarter, 2-2, UC at Davis outscored Brown, 3-1, in the second quarter.
"So far this trip has started well," Mercado said after the game against UC at Davis. "I know we are a better team today than on Thursday, and I feel we are only going to get better."

Brown 8, Pomona 3
After a day of rest, the Bears bounced back from their loss and came back with energy to win their next two games on Tuesday, the first against Pomona. Behind the leadership of Glick, who scored four goals, Brown led from the beginning and held on versus Pomona. Laing finished with 12 saves.

Brown 12, Claremont 4

Brown finished Tuesday strong with a decisive win over Claremont. The Bears opened the gap early, finishing the first half ahead, 9-2. Goals were, for the most part, evenly spread across familiar faces. Glick and Presant led the group of scorers with three goals each and Laing had an impressive 15 saves.    

USC 15, Brown 6
Brown then played No. 1 ranked USC and fell, 15-6. Though Brown held on during the first quarter, keeping the game to a close score of 4-2, by halftime USC had opened the lead to 9-4. Laing had six saves and three steals, and Glick, Presant and Stanton each scored two goals.

San Diego State 10, Brown 5
Despite a strong third quarter, Brown was unable to fight back from San Diego State's early lead. San Diego State's defense held Brown to zero goals in the second and fourth quarters. Offensive powerhouse Glick scored two goals, and Laing had 10 saves.

Cal Baptist 12, Brown 8

After losing center defender Stanton to an injury in the game against San Diego State, Brown couldn't overcome Cal Baptist Friday. Westerman and Glick scored three goals each, and Presant added two.

"It's tough to play without your top defenders against an offensively-talented team like Cal Baptist," Mercado said after the game. "We hung in there for the most part, but we ran out of steam at the end. It's been a long trip, and I'm hoping we can rebound with good play on Saturday."

Brown 7, Cal State at San Bernadino 6 (OT)

After losing three games in a row, Brown pulled through and finished the week on a high note, beating Cal State at San Bernadino in overtime on Saturday. Despite going 2 of 17 on their power plays, the Bears forced the game into overtime by playing good defense.

Glick led Brown with two goals. Ruiz scored the game-winning goal in the second overtime to give the Bears the win.

UC at San Diego 11, Brown 7

No. 17 UC at San Diego jumped out to an early lead, finishing the first quarter ahead, 6-2. Brown was unable to make up the difference, and UC at San Diego kept the four-goal lead until the end. The Bears were two of 11 on their power plays, an aspect of their game that they have struggled with throughout the season.

Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this article incorrectly identified players' honors. Sarah Glick '10 and Lauren Presant '10 were named Co-Players of the Week and Brittany Westerman '13 was the Rookie of the Week. The Herald regrets the errors.