M. golf takes 9th in division play

The men's golf team finished ninth out of 12 teams in the New England Division I Championship at Triggs Memorial Golf Club in Providence over the weekend.

Connecticut won the event easily with a final team score of 586. Despite a stronger showing on Sunday, the Bears finished the event with a disappointing score of 624.

"We just didn't play well. We played in a tougher course (two weekends ago) in Indiana with a tougher field, and for whatever reason, we just didn't play well, and I take responsibility for it," said Head Coach Michael Hughes.

The Bears were led by Michael Amato '11, who placed 19th individually at the event with a two-round score of 153, including a 74 on day two. JD Ardell '13 finished just behind Amato and placed 23rd individually with a 154. Herald Contributing Writer Chris Williams '13 was not far behind, shooting a 159 to finish 41st individually. Rounding out the team were Jack Mylott '13, who shot a 161, and captain John Giannuzzi '10, who shot a 163.

The Bears will seek a better showing at the Yale Invitational at Caves Valley Country Club in Owings Mills, Md.

"We are shooting to be in the top half of the event. It's a better field, and that would be a good outcome for us," Hughes said.