Letters to the Editor

Letter: Misogynistic lyrics ignored on campus

Thursday, April 22, 2010

To the Editor:

This weekend, Brown students will celebrate the arrival of an artist whose lyrics explicitly advocate violence against women. In light of The Herald’s past commitment to investigating and encouraging discourse about women’s issues, we are surprised at the paper’s lack of commentary on the student body’s unchecked enthusiasm for Snoop Dogg’s music, as well as the virtual absence of dialogue throughout campus.

Snoop Dogg’s lyrics go beyond objectifying women to the point of attacking women’s rights. In his 2004 song “Can U Control Yo’ Hoe,” the lyrics speak for themselves:
“You got a b—- that won’t do what you say…/ She hardheaded, she just won’t obey/ You’ve got to put that b—- in her place/ Even if it’s slapping her in her face.”

Given Brown’s reputation as a liberal campus, we are shocked that tickets for such a blatantly misogynistic artist would sell out within an hour of their release and without a word of commentary. Whether it reflects apathy toward or ignorance of Snoop Dogg’s lyrics, we find the student body’s lack of deliberation disturbing. We take pride in our University’s history of standing up for women’s rights, and we believe that we all share a responsibility to preserve that tradition. In the future, we must at least pause to discuss the significance of the messages promoted by the figures we invite to perform on campus.

Jasleen Salwan ’12
Michelle Uhrick ’11
April 20

Comments are closed. If you have corrections to submit, you can email The Herald at herald@browndailyherald.com.