NFL's Titans draft Howard '09.5, sign Sewall '10

Develin ’10 and Farnham ’10 also earn NFL tryouts

Defensive end David Howard '09.5 and wide receiver Bobby Sewall '10 aren't done playing football together. The Tennessee Titans drafted Howard as the 241st overall pick in the seventh round of the NFL Draft as they were on the phone with Sewall, working out a free-agent contract.

The two Brown standouts will report to Titans minicamp Thursday, they said in interviews with The Herald.

"We've got David Howard, who is an interesting young man that was selected," Titans Head Coach Jeff Fisher told reporters in a press conference that was filmed and posted on the Titans Web site. "The final pick of the seventh round, and he's a guy that's got some rare qualities — very intelligent, athletic, explosive player. So I think he'll be able to eventually help us."

Brown Head Coach Phil Estes said he was watching the draft all weekend, hoping to hear one of his players' names called. He said he is "very proud" of Sewall and Howard.

"They've worked hard to get to this point, and they deserve it," he said. "It's kind of neat to think that Bobby and David are going to be going to the Tennessee Titans."

After going through high-intensity training for four months to cap off years spent sweating it out on the football field, Sewall and Howard said they were both elated and relieved to be given a chance in the NFL.

"It's been a dream of mine forever, and certainly it's a dream come true to have this opportunity," Sewall said. "It's definitely an opportunity to do some big things, and I'm definitely going to work my hardest to do that."

After the draft, Sewall signed a two-year contract with the Titans, but he did not disclose terms of the deal. Howard had not yet signed his contract by Sunday night.

Two other Brown standouts — 2009 Ivy League Player of the Year wide receiver Buddy Farnham '10 and 2009 co-captain defensive end James Develin '10 were invited to NFL tryouts.

Farnham has a tryout with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next weekend, he wrote in a text message. Develin will go to the Cleveland Browns' rookie minicamp from Thursday through Sunday to have a tryout, he wrote in a text message. He is also waiting to hear from the New England Patriots and New York Giants on Monday.

"I go to rookie minicamp just like any rookie," Develin wrote. "I just have to earn my contract. Just the way I like it."

All four of the Brown players will now begin the fight to make their way onto an NFL roster.
"It's time to make the most of this opportunity," Sewall said. "Time to go to work."