Throwers and distance runners shine

With another meet comes another personal record for standout thrower and quad-captain Danielle Grunloh '10. Her shot put of 15.93 meters last Sunday at Brown's Springtime Invitational solidified her place at the top of the Ivy League rankings.

Brynn Smith '11, currently second in the league on the shot put list, closely followed Grunloh. Grunloh and Smith are ranked 18th and 31st nationally in the event.

The duo has collectively held the Ivy League shot put title over the past year. Smith was victorious last spring but Grunloh won the indoor championship in February. Grunloh said it will be a "toss up" between the two this spring.

The entire men's and women's track teams posted strong performances on Sunday with less than two weeks until the Ivy Heptagonal Championship at Princeton. The meet did not feature team scoring.

"We're really starting to fire on all cylinders," said Interim Head Coach Michelle Eisenreich. "We're very excited about our prospects for Heps."

Grunloh dominated the discuss throw with freshmen Victoria Buhr '13 and Lacey Craker '13 following right behind for a Brown 1-2-3 sweep. Smith also picked up a second win for Brown in the hammer throw.

The women had a number of other victories on Sunday, including Samantha Adelberg '11 in the 800-meter, Shannon Stone '10 in the long jump and Hannah Wallace '13 in the pole vault.

Susan Scavone '12 won the 100-meter hurdles in a personal best of 14.29. She is currently ranked second in the Ivy League in that event.

The Bears also had several outstanding performances in the distance events. Megan Fitzpatrick '11 won the women's 3000-meter by over 16 seconds with four Brown athletes following her in the top seven. Lauren Pischel '11, a former Herald staff writer, and Ari Garber '12 placed first and second, respectively, in the 5000-meter.

Brown swept the triple jump once again, with Gabriela Baiter '13, Rachel Biblo '11 and Shannon Stone '10 placing 1-2-3, all with jumps of over 11 meters.

On the men's side, All-American Craig Kinsley '11 won the javelin with a 64.21-meter throw, ranking him 14th in the country.

Brian Powlen '10 and Daniel Smith '13, placed first and second, respectively, in both the shot put and the discus.

However, it was the male distance runners who collectively achieved arguably the most dominating performances of the day.

Brown placed nine men under four minutes in the 1500-meter, led by seniors Brian Schilder '10, John Loeser '10 and Duriel Hardy '10, who each ran 3:51.

Then in the 5000-meter, Brown placed eight in the top nine, with freshman Austin Snyder '13 winning in 14:51.67.

Quad-captain Colin Brett '10 credited Eisenreich and the entire coaching staff for the team's recent success.

"Across the board, this is the best I've seen in my three and a half years here," he said.

Grunloh also praised Eisenreich, who became interim head coach after Craig Lake abruptly resigned in February.

"We think she would make an absolutely fantastic head coach for next year," Grunloh said. "She puts her entire life into it."