Young golfers learn lots at Naval Academy

Bruno traveled to Annapolis, Md. last weekend for the U.S. Naval Academy Invitational held at the par-71 Naval Academy Golf Course. The team shot a two-day score of 613 (306–307), placing them 12 in the 16-team field. While the University of Delaware earned the victory with an astounding 569, Bruno took note of more than just golf.

"It's a pretty impressive place," Head Men's Golf Coach Michael Hughes of the Naval Academy said. "If you've ever been down there, and I would encourage people to visit there, you go to bed at night feeling pretty safe and secure knowing that these young men are protecting our country."

The Bears entered the tournament with a young team, featuring two freshmen, two sophomores and one senior. JD Ardell '13 and Peter Callas '14 were Brown's top finishers at 153 overall, while Michael Amato '11, Jack Mylot '13, and Kyohei Itamura '14 all came in at 157.  Itamura shot the low round for Bruno on Sunday, shooting a three-over 74.

For a team as young as Brown's, the only way to improve is to gain experience in tournaments, Hughes said. 

"We're off to a pretty good start for a young team," he said. "I think we'll get progressively better as these young guys start learning the ins and outs of college golf and mixing curriculum and D-I sports together.  I'm hopeful we play well down the stretch."

The Bears return to action close to home next week in the Adams Cup, held September 20–21 at the Newport National Golf Club.