Field hockey drops three, faces tough test Saturday

The field hockey team (2-9, 1-2 Ivy League) endured a tough weekend of play against out-of-conference opponents, dropping a 3-1 decision to Maine (9-4), a 5-2 game against Davidson (10-2) and a 4-2 loss to Quinnipiac (4-6).

Pacing the Bears' scoring was forward Leslie Springmeyer '12, who notched a goal in each of the games. Midfielder-forward Abigail Taft '12, tri-captain forward Tacy Zysk '11 and back Elara Mosquera '13 also found the back of the net for Bruno in the games.

But the Bears wound up on the wrong end of the scoreboard at the end of the day, falling 4-2 against Quinnipiac, with Zysk and Springmeyer providing the offense for Bruno.

"My goal was perfectly set up by Tacy and Gail," Springmeyer said. "It was just a really pretty play."

Taft also assisted on Zysk's strike in the first half, which put Bruno on the board.

The team managed to draw nine penalty corners in the game, improving on a facet on which they had been working. Attackers aim to induce corners, which are awarded when the ball strikes a defender's foot inside the circle, by luring defenders out of position.

Springmeyer credited back Laura Iacovetti '12 with being one of the best at this tactic.

"Whenever she has the ball in the circle, she always either gets a shot or a corner," Springmeyer said.

Springmeyer had some shots of her own in the two weekend home games, tapping home a cross from Taft in the Bears' loss to Davidson. She also scored on a counterattack breakaway orchestrated by defender Kelsey Grossman '14 in Sunday's game against Maine. Mosquera scored in the game against Davidson, as she pounded home a ball from tri-captain midfielder Katie Hyland '11. Zysk found Taft with a pass in that same game, giving Taft her seventh goal of the season.

The Bears now look ahead to a tough test at No. 4 Princeton (9-2) this Saturday. Springmeyer said the players feel confident heading into the game that they have the talent and determination to pull off the road win.

"We're really pumped to play them," she said. "We're looking to surprise some people and hopefully take them on their own turf."